One video game is not a big deal so I imagine I look like a psycho to my husband when I say such things. But of course, what happened was he just tapped into an anxiety that I've been fretting about secretly for days, and I had a knee-jerk reaction.
I am excited about spending time with Little B, but we are on a pretty tight budget and I was hoping that we would not start spending extra money on entertainment because of the mentoring. The program rules state that he is supposed to pay his own way when we do things, and at our first meeting his mom told us that she's only working part time right now and supporting six kids, so she can't just send him out with spending money all the time. I thought that was great, since we can't do that either. But then the next day, Mr. Ibis's new idea was that we can have Little B do some chores or yardwork and pay him for it, to earn money to go out and do things with us. While this is a sensible solution, because I am always anxious about spending, I see this as Mr. Ibis "finding ways" to spend more instead of being content with just not spending money and doing things that cost nothing.
So all that is simmering in my mind, he mentions buying a video game, and I bubble over.
This is the endlessly repeating pattern with us. I swear I am working on it, but it's a work in progress. I just sometimes feel like I am the only person manning the brakes. Or like we are locked into these roles whether we like it or not: I'm always tightening the purse, he's always finding ways to loosen it. I hate my role. I'm tired of it. I would love to just not care. Eff it all, let's just spend it. If he wants to save anything, fine, I'll go along with it. But I hate playing the Budget Nazi - I am just too scared to stop. At the same time, I know that it isn't working. That the more I clamp down, the more pushback he'll give me, because there has to be balance.
So this is the push-pull. I try to let it go. He says one thing, like how we can pay Little B to do yard work. I let it go. He says anothing thing, like instead of bringing food from home to the baseball game this weekend as I suggested, we can buy snacks. I let it go. He says one more thing, that he wants to buy a video game, and I explode.
I'm worn out. I'm so exhausted. I'm tired of being the household executive, daily operations manager, and CFO. I want to quit! To be fair, Mr. I does plenty around the house. He does his share of the housework for sure. I just feel like I always have to the brain center - the person with all the to-do lists, shopping lists, who remembers when the bills are due, who remembers birthdays, who tracks ovulation (ha), who has to make the phone calls and do the taxes. Plus I have my business to run. I am just flaming out mentally.
We actually got into a little argument last night and when we went to bed, Mr. Ibis initiated a reconciliation so we wouldn't go to sleep mad. It was nice. He said this is a hard time and we shouldn't turn on each other, which is so true. I agree. Sometimes it just seems easier said than done.


3 comments:
Maybe he could take the cost of the video game out of his fun money instead of the family money.
Kris - the truth is, there is probably room in the budget for a video game. It's just that I have a knee-jerk reaction to say NO to everything. As though if I say yes to one, I have to say yes to it all. It's emotional and irrational.
Hi Ibis, I just discovered your blog from your siggie link on the nest....I wanted to say how much you remind me of myself, from your relationship w/ your mom to the role you play in your household.
I wish you the best in your quest to TTC. You and your husband sound like you'll make awesome parents. Good luck.
Post a Comment