Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday

Let me just say that we better get KU soon because this not drinking for 3 out of 4 weeks is getting old!

We had a doozy of a visit with the in-laws last night... pie and ice cream, searching the neighborhood for a runaway dog who was actually still inside the house... ahh, good times.

I'm so glad it's Friday. This week went fine but the weekend sounds nice.

I'm still making samples for this one powder room which is frustrating. My contract states that I only make one sample for free per room, but I'm trying to be extra accomodating to these new clients... but seriously make up your mind. I made two samples before they said they wanted the color to be metallic. So I made another one like that, now they want a different color. AGH! Just pick something!

I love listening to my ipod at work, it makes the days go by so much faster and helps me focus on my work. I try to be smart about it when I'm not alone, and I'll usually have just one earbud in so I can tell if someone is trying to talk to me. But it's even better when I'm alone and can just get in the zone. I listen to NPR shows all day long, my favorites being On Point, Talk of the Nation, Fresh Air, and when I want something lighter, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I do my best work like this... it's as though, when my 'left brain' is busy thinking about the radio show, my 'right brain' can just flow. I've heard (on NPR of course) that there is a special mindstate that people go into when they are totally absorbed in doing what they love, whether it be painting, or music, or math, whatever. The rest of the world falls away and it's all flow. When I was young I used to feel that way when I was drawing. Now I get into it when I'm working on my faux painting stuff.

This, incidentally, is why I feel my dream of becoming a novelist is not going to happen... because I never get into that flow state when I'm trying to write fiction. It's laborious and wrenching, not very zen at all. But that's neither here nor there.

So I have a somewhat disjointed day of doing a couple of different projects and I'll get to that stupid sample over the weekend.

We're trying to make plans with Little B for Saturday, but so far it ain't happening. Mr. Ibis has been calling his mom all week and hasn't gotten a hold of her... in the last couple of days no one's even answered the phone. Frustrating.

Oh, and... I'm 6dpo. Not feeling anything besides hungry, but what else is new.

No comments:

Post a Comment