I was working away yesterday when in strolls one of my competitors in the business, whom I know through networking and classes, things like that. Apparently he's doing the basement at the same house. He's a nice enough guy, but not someone I want to be BFFs with by a long shot. However, he was excited that "we are finally working on a job together... now I have someone to bullshit with." Um, NO. I don't "bullshit" on the job. I like to be left alone with my ipod and my work!
But I'm not unfriendly, so I paused to chat with him. He asked with this weird tone in his voice, "So what are you up to these days?" I gave him the usual party line about the winter being slow, things picking up now, blah blah.
Later he came in to BS with me again and once again with this weird tone he exclaimed, "Oh, you're wearing a mask!" (I was last time he came in too.) "Are you having a kid?" I awkwardly stammered, "Uh, well, you know... someday... just being careful... you have to get ready ahead of time, you know...." UNCOMFORTABLE. He was all up in my business about it, like "oh you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but yeah, all those chemicals, blah de blah....."
Afterward, I thought to myself, that was weird. Then I recalled he had name-dropped a friend, also in the business, who happened to be at a Christmas party I went to last December. At this party I STUPIDLY told my former coworker about the pregnancy and asked her not to tell anyone else for the time being. She turned around not five minutes later and blabbed to basically the whole party, whose guests included several friends and work colleagues. Dumbass. Did she have to tell all these people when I had a miscarriage? No. I did. It still makes me fucking angry when I think about it to this day.
So I connected the dots and figured that this guy I'm working with now also heard about my pregnancy. Well, let him wonder. If he's that dumb that he can't figure out I'm not hiding a 6 month pregnancy on my 100 lb frame, let him wonder.
Next time I get pg I don't mind playing dumb for the whole 9 mo if I have to. The people in my business, in this town, are the most gossipy people I've ever met anywhere except for maybe the church ladies where I grew up. Everyone knows everyone's business in intimate detail all the time, and this seriously bugs me. So next time, no one gets to know. I will be waddling around with a huge belly and if anyone asks me if I'm expecting, I'll just give them a blank stare. They can gossip all they like, but they won't hear it from me.


2 comments:
ICK! I would be so pissed off too if that chick had told everyone, but then I was the one who had to tell them about the miscarriage. That is just SO WRONG. *hugs*
A case of verbal Diahroea on this womans part. Honestly!
Post a Comment