Sunday, August 30, 2009

Nesting Madness

The nesting instinct has hit me with the force of a Midwestern tornado. I just googled it to see when it's "supposed to" happen, and sure enough, sources say "around the fifth month." So I guess I'm right on time.

My fantasies about nursery decor last week turned quickly into a mad urge to start cleaning and organizing the house. Yesterday my husband had two fantasy football drafts, and I used the entire day to tackle various seemingly urgent projects. I was painting window sashes, rearranging furniture, creating tiebacks for the drapes. I washed and folded all of the baby clothes and blanket we've accumulated so far and organized them by size. I moved all my sewing stuff out of the baby's room to clear a space for the crib that we haven't even purchased yet. I grew slightly fatigued but I couldn't stop. I kept coming up with new ideas to make the house better and more organized, each one better than the last.

When the football drafts were over, we went out for a casual dinner at a fast food noodle place (disgusting, by the way) and then to Babies R Us. I'd already started a registry online but I wanted Mr. Ibis to come see some things in person with me and help choose some of the big ticket things or at least compare them. The Babies R Us store, while fun to browse, is pretty unhelpful for actually registering, because they have such a small fraction of the inventory compared to what's online. But I got to explain the different types of strollers and carseats, and we could see in person how big certain things are (like the monstrous baby swings, which we decided we don't want at all). It was also fun to look at baby clothes, though we aren't going to purchase any more ourselves, figuring the baby's grandparents are probably going to shower us in cute clothing.

Then after the baby store we went to the bookstore to get some decaffeinated treats and browse the shelves. Except almost as soon as we got there, my body decided to punish me for being such a maniac all day. My lower back started hurting fiercely, so we left pretty quickly. As we rode home in the car, the pain spread to my hips and knees. I was just done, my goose was cooked. When we got home, Mr. I gave me a nice backrub, which definitely took the edge off, but I was hurting and the only thing left to do was go to bed. I was actually a little nervous that I'd hurt myself or baby, but he gave me a few kicks to remind me he was okay. Sure enough, when I woke up this morning I felt totally restored.

Once again today I would REALLY LOVE to start cleaning out and organizing the closets. It's hard to explain the instinct except that it's more of a compulsion than a mere idea. But I vowed to just chill out today, and I made Mr. I promise to prevent me from going on another binge. I do have some or all of next week off so I can spread these projects out a little. I can just see myself with a fully organized home and completed nursery by 7 months. Then I'll have to move to scrubbing the baseboards with a toothbrush, and that just wouldn't be right. Then I'll get even more restless and probably come up with some major renovations that need to take place before the baby comes. The doors do look like they could use refinishing....

No comments:

Post a Comment