Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm having a giant baby

My 28 week appointment was quick and easy.

I think there must be two different glucola drinks on the market, because I've heard so many pregnant girls complain that it's thick and syrupy and disgusting. Mine was exactly like orange soda in every way - it was even carbonated. It didn't make me feel weird at all like I thought it might.

I'm now up about 16 1/2 lbs, a little more than 3 lbs from 2 weeks ago, but I think my overall gain is good for how far along I am. It's definitely all baby and boobies so I'm not worried about it.

The biggest news is that my fundal height (how tall my uterus measures) is now 4 weeks ahead!! Holy crapsticks. At first Dr. J said "I'm guessing this baby is breech," figuring that if he were heads up that would make my ute taller. But I expressed surprise because I feel his kicks up top, so she felt for his head, and sure enough, she could feel it down low.

So I will see her in 2 weeks and if I'm still measuring so far ahead, which I'm quite sure I will be since I've measured ahead all along, she'll schedule me for a growth ultrasound to see how big he's getting. Of course if he's looking gigantic there is a chance they will talk to me about early induction or C-section. But I'm not going to worry about that before I know. And I admit I'm kind of jazzed about getting a bonus ultrasound.

I really wish I had thought of this while I was still there and must remember to ask her next time. But as I drove home I remembered that at my ultrasounds the baby was measuring on track even though my fundal height was ahead - and also that they told me my placenta is on top. Most people have it on the front or back wall of the uterus, but mine is right on the top. I think it's possible that this is what's making my uterus "taller" and the baby is actually not that big.

I realized since Dr. J was preparing to leave me that she must not have heard about my L&D experience yet, so I told her. I told her about the contractions, drinking water, and the negative fetal fibronectin test. And also that I do have them all day every day, but that day I was having more than usual. She confirmed that I should definitely call when I have that many. But at the same time she did not seem alarmed or overly concerned about the whole story. So I'm sensing that they just want to play it safe but this was not actually some horrible omen.

I am totally NOT going to tell my mother-in-law about the big baby issue. She would love to hear that I'm having a giant baby. She gets some weird pleasure out of the idea that all her babies were huge and all their babies will be huge too, and of course out of telling me how Mr. Ibis's giant head broke her back on the way out. I am so not opening the door to that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment