Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Childbirth Class #3

We went to our third childbirth class last night. I had a really long day at work, rushed home to feed the dog, change, make dinner, eat, and then we rushed out to class. So I was pretty tired... through the last half I was having a little trouble keeping my eyes open.

The class was about interventions, labor augmentation, and medical pain relief. All things I have read so much about that it was a little ho hum for me, but I figure Mr. Ibis probably learned a few things. We did get to see some of the medical doodads in person, which was interesting. The little bag-breaking hook tool was not nearly as scary, or as pointy, as I'd imagined. The internal fetal monitor was pretty freaky - did you realize it's a spiral metal wire that they actually screw into the baby's scalp?? Supposedly it doesn't hurt but I find that hard to believe. It's not like the baby can cry when he's still in the womb. Mr. I was pretty freaked out by the forceps.

You know what I found really freaky? I'm sure I'm in the minority here but the entire concept and description of the epidural. The needle into your spine, the fact that you have something hanging out of your spine and some tape is supposed to keep it in place, the idea of being numb from the ribs down, the inability to move, the inability to push, the effing catheter shoved up my urethra... I'm sorry, but pain sounds much more appealing to me than all of that.

Cesareans don't sound like much fun either, but I am mentally rehearsing for the idea that if it's unavoidable, I shouldn't feel too let down by that. If I need one, I need one. I kind of wish that I hadn't seen the animated cartoon of how they pull your abdomen open (ew) but I'll just try to put it out of my mind if it comes to pass. By the way, did you know it's redundant to say "Cesarean section?" The two words mean the same thing. It's like saying "slice cut."

The teacher told us that our hospital has pretty recently introduced a new policy that they will not do a non-medically-necessary induction before 39 weeks. She said that's progressive and I suppose I agree, yet I'm a little surprised it's a new policy and they used to do elective inductions before then.

I still need to investigate this whole no-drinking-water-during-labor thing. The hospital seems to be pretty updated in so many other ways, I find it hard to believe that they still stick to the old ice chips thing. Ridiculous. I can tell you now that if that really is the policy, I will be cheating.

3 comments:

Rachel W. said...

Hmm. I could definitely drink water (and apple juice!) during labor. It was great b/c (TMI warning) when I threw up later I had something in my belly.

And I totally thought the description of the epidural was freaky and was terrified to get one; I was never planning on going natural though. I just hated the idea of the epidural and was scared; however after 30 hours of laboring at home I needed a break! If you end up getting one (I know you're planning on going natural, but just in case) be reassured its not as bad as the description.

Adrienne said...

I'm a nestie that has been following your blog for sometime now but you don't know me. Is that weird? Anyways... my advice to you for having a natural birth is to labor at home for as long as you can stand it. When you are at home you can eat/drink what you want and move around as you please. I went to the hospital too early and was sent home and then when I returned I was at 9 cm. It was so much nicer to be at home through the contractions. I had all the lights off, no one talking to me, and I could move and get comfortable how I wanted. The short time I was in the hospital early on I was hooked up to the monitors and it was the worst thing ever. That was my motivation for not going back to the hospital. Just my 2 cents.

Ibis said...

R - thank you for the reassurance. :)

Adrienne - that is definitely our plan... we'll call the doula to come to our house if I need support, and just wait until I get to the point when I feel like I am close to not wanting to take a car trip anymore (hospital is 10 min away).

Post a Comment