One year later, instead of offering any relief, they just laid off all their temporary workers and reduced the regular drivers' hours to 36 per week, possibly dropping to 32 if things don't improve (which they likely will not). Overtime pay has been another important part of our budget, and now we're going to have to swing it on even less income, just as we are also adding a child to our health insurance plan. And I have no income until mid-March.
Does this worry me? Yes. Of course. But, strangely, I find that money matters no longer have the emotional weight behind them that they once did. Not long ago this news about Mr. I's job would have my guts twisted in knots. I used to take finances too much to heart. Now I look at my husband and my son and I know that I have everything I need. No matter how broke we get, not having money will never mean I have to lose them.
I ask myself, what's the worst that could happen? Realistically the worst is that we could lose our house and have to move into an apartment. I know we'll never be homeless; we have too much family looking out for us who would never let that happen. I love this house, but it is just a house. Just a thing. Anywhere I go, Mr. I and Miles will be with me, and that's all that really matters in the end.
Another worst case scenario is that Mr. I would have to take an "over the road" job which would mean being away for a week or two at a time. Neither of us want this, especially when Miles is so young and growing so fast, but even that would be a temporary sacrifice if we had to do it.
Now, I don't think we're at all close to losing our house or going over the road, but I like to play "worst case scenario" sometimes to reassure myself that even catastrophe won't be catastrophic. We have enough savings to get me through maternity leave, and Mr. I is looking around for other jobs. There isn't much out there, of course, but if there's any job worth getting, I think he easily could - he's an excellent worker with a good work history and people always like him. I am conveniently sitting out the slowest time of year for my business and should be able to pick up a decent second income come spring. We'll be fine.


No comments:
Post a Comment