Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday

Another Monday dawns... literally, the sun is rising as I write.

The weekend went by way too fast. Mr. Ibis was home with us on Saturday and gone yesterday. I don't know what happened to yesterday - I blinked and it was gone.

I took Miles out in the baby wrap yesterday afternoon. We kicked a ball around the backyard with the Unicorn for a bit, and then because it was so nice out I took a stroll around the block. That seemed like a grand idea until I came upon a couple of dumb kids with a Boxer puppy running around with no leash. And by puppy, I mean at least 6 months old and fully capable of reaching Miles with his teeth. I'm not afraid of dogs, but I'm not unaware of how unpredictable they are, especially puppies, especially around people carrying something interesting like a baby.

I kept walking and looking straight ahead while the stupid kids ineffectually called him away, but inside I was freaking out. It seemed to take an hour to get far enough away that the dog left us alone - during which time I held onto Miles's little stockinged feet and prayed (in whatever capacity an atheist prays). I certainly will NOT be walking around the block with the baby wrap again. I realized as soon as I was in that situation that there are frequently loose dogs in our neighborhood and it's crazy unsafe to have the baby in a soft carrier like that - especially with me being so short and baby so close to the ground.

My other fear/confession: I was carrying Miles forward-facing. I know I'm not "supposed" to do that yet since Miles has limited head control... but he actually has really good head control and he loves to face out and see the world. Still, as I was walking it struck me that I couldn't see his face to check how he was doing. At some point I'm pretty sure he fell asleep, but I started to worry that really he was passed out because he wasn't getting enough air somehow due to the position of his head, so I started holding his chin with one hand to make sure... yeah, I'm a mess. I think I'll stick with the stroller for a little while.

On a less crazycakes note, it's becoming more and more fun to play with Miles. He smiles a lot and although he is still uninterested in toys, he thinks any dumb thing I do is entertaining. So I've started to comb my memory for silly songs and yesterday I came up with "The Itsy Bitsy Spider," "If You're Happy and You Know It," and "Row Row Row Your Boat." He likes the "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" because of the hand gestures, but interestingly enough, he seems partial to the old classic Alphabet Song. Not sure what it is about that one - maybe all the vowel sounds - but as soon as I start it up he gives me a huge grin.

It's getting more challenging to get pics of the kid because he is a wiggle worm and the happier he is the more he squirms... so almost all of my best smile photos are blurry. But I keep them because to me they are still heart-explodingly cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment