Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I Haven't Slept a Wink

First of all, I apologize. I really have more interesting things to blog about, like The Nurture Assumption, and my ongoing and surprising talks with Mr. Ibis about planning for baby #2. But there is only one thing on my mind today and I have to unload. Sorry if you've heard this one before.

I must have jinxed myself by saying that Miles does well sleeping at night. Last two nights? Utter hell. I'm talking blood-curdling screams at LEAST every hour. I don't know whether to be grateful that Mr. Ibis was here for both night, or not, because although I had a comrade in the trenches, in one sense it was just one more person to get irritated with at three in the morning when I pretty much wanted to jump off a bridge and take everyone with me (sarcasm alert! totally NOT SERIOUS folks).

The first night I hadn't given Miles any pain relieving meds because I thought he'd cut his 4th tooth and was fine. He had been so bubbly and happy during the day and his naps were letter perfect. But that night he was just screaming and crying and screaming and crying... we would soothe him back down, he'd fall asleep for 5 or 10 blessed minutes, wake up WAILING again. I can handle ordinary sleep deprivation pretty well but that, my friends, is a patented torture technique.

Yesterday once again he was all happy and took great naps and I gave him ibuprofen for bed to hedge my bets, and it made very little difference. He didn't scream ALLLL night, but he did scream every hour almost like clockwork. To make things worse (for me), I was sitting up to nurse him, while being a) insanity-level tired, and b) freezing cold. Because oh yeah, we're all experimenting with the thermostat at night, because apparently we like our torture with a side of physical torment.

Why was I sitting up to nurse when we've been side-lying for months? Because suddenly my boobs want to sleep through the night. They are pretty much like, we don't give a shit that your baby wants to eat at 4 am, lady, we're SLEEPING! The only way for me to get a letdown is to sit up and nurse Miles in my lap now. So that's fun times too.

Weirdly, I am not tired during the day with all of this going on. I don't know if I'm somehow ekeing out enough sleep, if I'm just well caffeinated, or if I have acquired some kind of superhuman power to refresh myself without sleeping. But I don't really get that tired until, say, Miles's bathtime, when I typically start to crash. Which really isn't that bad.

So anyway, universe, I am publishing the information now that Miles is SLEEPING LIKE CRAP, and you can go ahead and make a liar out of me in that one ANY TIME NOW, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment