Naps have progressed to the point that he now protests when I lower him into the P&P, but once he's in he relaxes and lays quietly until he drifts off to sleep... he sucks on his binky and I keep one hand on him until he is totally out.
It dawned on me that I really should have thought of this before since it's basically the same way he goes to sleep at night. The only differences are location and the fact that I am standing over him rather than lying next to him. At some point (between 8 and 9 months?) he let me know that he no longer wanted to be rocked to sleep at night - he would fuss and arch away from me but settle when I put him down. Since then I lay down with him, read books, shut off the light, and that's it. He usually falls asleep touching me, or if he's too wound up will sometimes fuss and climb around a bit.... I feel these are the nights that I put him down a little too early.
Other salient points for those playing along at home... I put some tapestries up over the windows to block the daylight (hmm, I never did get around to buying real curtain rods & curtains). I put a thick blanket in the P&P to make it comfy since he is past the age of being accidentally suffocated by a blanket. I sit down with him in the darkened room and read a quick book before laying him down. Also, I make absolutely sure that he is definitely tired before attempting the nap.
There is a downside: the lengthening process has not continued for the past two days. He's been getting up after 30-45 minutes, which isn't that wonderful. But hopefully that's a blip and not a trend.


No comments:
Post a Comment