Monday, February 2, 2009

Thoughts on Chemical Pregnancies.

A chemical pregnancy is, of course, a fertilized embryo that never implants. In the days before home pregnancy tests, women never knew they were pregnant, because this type of miscarriage would be experience as a 'normal,' if slightly late, period. Now, particularly with the popularity of charting, many women find out they're pregnant at 10, 11, or 12 days past ovulation only to lose the pregnancy a few days or a week later.

Having been through one miscarriage, I don't want to go through the experience of CP. I've decided I would rather not know. I'd rather believe that I'm having a long cycle and some funky PMS symptoms, and never get my hopes up over two pink lines only to have them dashed so quickly. I also don't want to be three and a half weeks pregnant and agonizing over tiny hcg numbers at the OB's office. So I made Mr. Ibis promise not to let me test at least until my period is due. I have a nice long luteal phase, so that way by the time I know I will be at least 4 weeks pregnant and have slightly better chances of a sticky baby.

1 comment:

gallerygirl said...

I agree with this... but have yet to practice the self control. I think I need to get my dh on board with no testing until after AF is late. It seems like such heartbreak if it does not stick. Why put yourself through it?

Post a Comment