Friday, March 6, 2009

Generations


My chart looks like a Southwestern mesa or something. Still holding steady at 98.4 today... I took it twice just to make sure I was not looking at yesterday's temp! So I am 14dpo today (probably) and looking good. It certainly doesn't look like last cycle's chart anymore.

We survived another dinner with the in-laws without me drinking again. I guess they have accepted that they're not allowed to ask me about it anymore, although my MIL does still offer me a glass of wine every time we come over.

Mr. Ibis was very frustrated by them last night, again. The same reason - how unhealthy they are, how they don't take care of themselves. Sometimes I wish I could take my MIL aside privately and explain to her that it really hurts and angers him to watch them physically fall apart when he had to lose his dad for the exact same reason (his parents were divorced and mom is remarried). Last night we learned that FIL is getting a new fistula (input thingy in his arm for dialysis), and a heart catheter to see if he has another blockage. MIL is getting surgery this week on her eye... after having laser treatments and cataract surgery, now she's getting holes drilled in the back of her eye to drain blood (FIL has also recently had this done). This is all diabetes related. But nothing ever changes. They still eat donuts, pastries, and cake and ice cream like it's going out of style. It makes Mr. I want to scream.

Last night he watched his stepdad pour blue cheese dressing over his salad and thought to himself, that's exactly what his dad used to do. Why don't they understand? He was angry that my in-laws were showing off FIL's new customized wheelchair - why should they be proud of it? I know that my MIL is trying to make it seem cool for FIL's sake, to spare the ego blow. But I understand how Mr. Ibis sees it too. He sees them as destroying their bodies and just laughing it all off.

Mr. I's dad never got to see him get married or have children. I never met him - he passed away a couple of years before I met Mr. Ibis. All he wants is for the two parents he has left to live long enough to meet his future children... but sometimes the forecast looks pretty bleak.

No comments:

Post a Comment