He's an 11 year old boy who lives close by, one of six kids. His parents were married for over a decade but his dad left two years ago and hasn't stayed in touch very well, which is what Little Bro is struggling with now. He is smart and does well in school, athletic and loves sports, and he describes himself as a ladies' man, which I think is so cute. They told us he needs help with boosting his self-esteem, applying himself in school (he gets good grades because he's smart but doesn't try very hard), being more involved in group activities, and improving his relationship with his mom (he's been acting out since dad left).
We meet him on Monday night after work. I'm so excited and nervous, really hoping that he and his mom like us. I think that since it sounds like he really needs a male role model, I will let Mr. Ibis kind of take the lead with him, and just be there to have fun with him and hopefully be a positive mentor to him as well. It was actually Mr. I's idea to sign up for this, and when he found out we could be a Big Couple I joined too. I'm pretty shy and wasn't sure if I was a great candidate for a one-on-one mentorship, but as part of a threesome I feel more comfortable.


2 comments:
That such a good way of interacting with other families too. Kudos to you both for participating. I hope it all goes smoothly.
xx
What a wonderful thing to do. Way to go! I hope it goes really well.
Post a Comment