Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ho hum.

Dum de dum.

I managed to get back to work today but I got out early, while Mr. Ibis is working late. He just popped by the house in his work truck to take some Advil (headache) and let me know he's not going to be home until 6:30 or 7:00. So I am bored, bored, bored. I know the Unicorn wants me to go outside and play wiffle ball, but while it's finally pretty nice outside, I just don't feel like it!

My moment of glee (really, glee may be an understatement - I was dancing around the house) about getting our tax bill down got a little rained on today by a notice from the mortgage company. Apparently when we got a refund check from our old insurance company for unused premium and it seemed too good to be true, it was. They want it back. And it's been spent. Not even on anything good, just on living. So that's $2k to Uncle Sam, $1k to Uncle Escrow, and our savings account is now on life support.

Other money sucks in the pipes: both of our cell phones are broken and need replacing, but we are not eligible for upgrades until September. No, we don't have insurance. And I almost slapped the salesman at the mall when I asked if they had anything in the $40 range and he said, "There is no such thing as a phone for forty dollars." UP YOURS! Then there's Mr. Ibis's van, which is underwater and needs the front brakes and tie rods done soon but we can't afford it, just trying not to drive it too much (we fixed the rear brakes in Dec). And then poor Mr. Ibis's Playstation memory card broke the other day, so he can play games but not save any.

Oh, and our farking toaster broke some time ago. We bought it less than a year ago. How and why does a toaster break? The lever won't stay down. So we lean cookbooks against it to make toast. It probably costs $30 to replace but it's just one more thing. It's like if I give in and buy a new toaster I'll have to replace all the other stupid crap around here that's broken or worn out.

On the bright side, I have some good work lined up and I got another lead the other day. So we should be just fine. It's just irritating that money is always going out the door in large sums. Could we ever just get to hold on to some of that cash?

How did this end up being another whiney whinge? Too much time on my hands, no sticks to pee on, I guess I have nothing better to do right now.

3 comments:

Shanny said...

Sorry you are having all these downs. Hope the lead works out for you, good luck. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Try looking on Craigslist for used phones. If your carrier uses SIM cards, you should be able to just move the SIM card over to the new phone and it will be tied to your account and ready to use.

Ibis said...

Thanks Anonymous. I found some on ebay in the $25-35 range - used in good condition.

Post a Comment