Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

We went to the Mother's Day cookout at my inlaws' yesterday. I was incredibly nervous about telling them about the pregnancy, just because it's so early, but Mr. Ibis and I both thought it was a good idea.

When we got there, my mother-in-law offered me a glass of wine at least a dozen times... finally I mouthed to Mr. I "tell her!" So he did. We said it was really early, and we didn't want to make a big announcement, we just wanted them to know. She kind of... underreacted compared to what I expected, so I was worried she thought we were crazy to tell. But then over the course of the evening she was kind of pampering me, so I think she was just trying to be sensitive to the situation and not make a huge deal if we didn't want one.

Later I found a private moment with my sister-in-law to tell her. She was one of the best supporters for me when I miscarried, because she also miscarried her first and just did and said all the right things for us when it happened. Again I was nervous to tell, but I just blurted it out, saying I was only 4 weeks but we just wanted to tell our parents and siblings right away. She said they will hoping everything goes well for us....

This morning I called to say Happy Mother's Day to my stepmom but could only reach my dad. So I told him our news. He said, "I was waiting for this news! So you want prayers right from the beginning this time..." and I said, "yes, exactly."

Finally I got ahold of my mom (she's a late riser) and told her too. She started to cry, she was so happy. I told her the whole thing, about how I have gotten two positive home pregnancy tests, and will be going in for early bloodwork to make sure it's going okay.

She said something I didn't expect from her that really touched me - that she had found something she wanted to buy me for Mother's Day but hadn't gotten it into the mail in time (my mom is always late with things)... but she wanted to send me something this year because, "in my mind, you are a mother." I thought that was so sweet of her. My mom never had a loss and I didn't think she would see it that way, so I was impressed that she did.

She also said something really nice to Mr. Ibis, which was that she thought one of the reasons she had such a good time when she came to visit us was that she could see we were happy and had a great relationship, and obviously really loved each other, which (she said) you don't see very often these days. Awww.

So, all of that went well. I'm feeling pretty good. I get these waves of fatigue that absolutely flatten me. It's like I go from zero to MUST CLOSE EYES in 30 seconds, a couple of times a day. It's totally overwhelming, but I love it. Likewise for the little bouts of dull cramping I feel every now and then. I didn't really have them last time, and my fatigue last time was milder. I feel like baby is burrowing firmly in place and starting to grow... it's exciting!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Happy Mother's Day Ibis!

Caz said...

I'm glad you had a great day. That was very sweet of your mum.

LuckyOnce said...

So sweet of your Mom to say such nice things about your relationship with Mr. I. Yay for symptoms!!

Post a Comment