I still get very hungry when I go too long without eating, but whereas before I would get horribly nauseated, now I just feel hungry. I still get the briefest flashes of nausea at times, but they're seconds long rather than hours. Food is sounding a lot more appealing. I still feel tired sometimes (and I did take a nap for over an hour this morning), but for most of the day my energy is really good - this may just be from the nausea fog lifting, it's hard to say.
I'm still nervous about something being wrong with the baby, but in a slightly more normal, nervous mom-to-be way rather than a totally unhinged, terrified mess way. I'm nervous aboutour NT scan next Monday, but excited, too. I was going to wait until after that to tell anyone outside the family about the baby, but I will see a few friends just before it that I will probably go ahead and tell.
I went maternity shopping yesterday. I had $100 in birthday money from a generous aunt. I spent half of it online ordering a couple of badly needed bras, and took the other half on a maternity shopping odyssey.
I first tried Motherhood and was pretty disappointed. Everything looked HUGE and pretty dowdy - totally "maternity wear" style and not just regular clothes with room for bellies. I tried on some jeans and plain tshirts in S/P and they were all enormous. You could have fit a spare leg in each pant leg, and the shirts came nearly to my knees. I know I'm going to grow a little, but that is just ridiculous. I looked like a little girl wearing my mommy's clothes. Massive fail on the "petite" front. I am 5'2", slender as you have seen in my photos, and have a very small frame. Narrow shoulders, no hips at all. At that early point I began to despair that I would ever find maternity clothes that fit (I'm nothing if not optimistic, haha).
I then went to Target, which I thought was promising because Liz Lange carries a 2 in pants and XS in tops, and the styles were much cuter than anything at Motherhood. Don't hate me when I tell you, these were still too big. The pants had room in the hips, butt, and a strange amount of empty space in the crotch (?!?). The shirts were just oversized and didn't even fit at the shoulders. Boo.
Finally I tried Old Navy, which I left for last because it had the smallest selection. They pretty much had jeans, yoga pants, tank tops, and a couple of cardigans (and seriously why do they make open-front maternity cardigans???). However, finally I found clothes that fit me there. Their 2's and XS's were almost perfect. The jeans still have a smidge extra room in the hips and butt, but they're good, totally wearable now, and my hips & butt will expand a little at some point, I imagine. The tanks were awesome. At least now I know what fits me, and I can order online in the future.
When I checked out, the cashier asked, "Are these for you?" I said yes and she asked when I'm due - I said not until January. She said, "Okay - because I was going to say, you don't look pregnant at all!" I blushed and stammered something about my birthday money. I know she was paying me a compliment but I actually disagree with her (and my husband does too) - in something like what I was wearing yesterday - a cotton A-line skirt and fitted tshirt - you can tell there's something there. Admittedly, to people who don't know me I probably look like a skinny girl who just ate a hamburger.


No comments:
Post a Comment