Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This is more like it

The Facebook announcement went well. We got a lot more enthusiasm online than in person, funny enough. People said a lot of nice things, and some friends of ours in California called to congratulate us - I was already in bed (ha!) but they talked to Mr. Ibis for a little while. It's definitely more fun to be "out" now.

I changed my pregnancy ticker... the ultrasound showed the fetal age matched the OB's due date, which - surprisingly - was based on my LMP. So January 14th it is, and that means I don't turn 13 weeks until tomorrow.

Another minor detail from my appointment was that I finally started to gain a little weight - about 2 lbs, which is good for the end of first tri. The scale calculated my BMI as 19.5, which is still on the low end, but normal and not underweight. I have been eating constantly, so I guess my metabolism is just in high gear already.

Mr. Ibis and I finally wrote our first entries in the baby journals we bought. This was a tradition we started with the first pregnancy but would like to continue. Sometimes it feels like we almost have too many outlets, between this blog and the boards (for me), our shared blog, Facebook... but the letters to the baby are something that we really want to do, in our own handwriting, so we can show those to our child someday.

It's so wonderful to finally feel like we are out of the woods. I know that there are still, are always, things that can go wrong, but at least now the chance of losing the baby has dropped to a level of statistical insignificance that allows me to exhale. Finally I can start to enjoy the experience, feel some of those normal pregnancy feelings I've been longing for. I can stop minimizing it and let my guard down a bit... stare at my ultrasound pictures without worrying that I will get too attached and have my heart broken again. It's freeing, and lovely. The fear is not gone, but it's quieter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment