Friday, August 14, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Last night I got undressed for bed in the mirror and when I saw my body my mind just reeled. My belly was busting out as it usually does at night, and it was as though I saw myself being pregnant for the first time. "OH MY GOD!" I said out loud, in mild shock. I don't know why it was messing with my mind so much in that moment, but it was just bugging me out to think about the fact that I'm not even halfway through yet, that I'm going to grow a full sized baby inside my body. Seriously - whoa. Whoa. Maybe it was the first time that it sank in that this body is being taken over... it's not going to be just me anymore, for a little while anyway. The monumental nature of the changes that have barely begun to take place suddenly hit me.

You know, the first trimester (for someone having their first kid) is all about feeling sick and searching your body for clues that you're really really pregnant and not just having some weird extended virus. You're always trying to "feel pregnant," not really even knowing what that means... maybe you start wearing maternity clothes too early just to "feel more pregnant." It's like a little kid dressing up in her mom's shoes to see if she can feel what it's like to be mommy.

And then suddenly - you're there. Really pregnant. And it's just... whoa.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Your description of the first tri is perfect... I'm almost 16 weeks and still waiting to "feel pregnant"! Maybe in a few weeks, I guess...

Post a Comment