Friday, August 28, 2009

Diagnosis: Eczema

Dr. Google was right: I have eczema on my hand and eyelids.

My old dermatologist left the clinic, so I saw her replacement, and he was great. I liked him much better than her, in fact. He was an older man, very friendly, more attentive than the old doc was.

He said that he doesn't believe stress causes eczema, only that it can exacerbate it, and what was more likely to be the original cause was working with chemicals. This is interesting: he said what he most often sees with women is rashes on the face that are caused by fumes from nail polish! Who knew. I do wear a mask so I don't inhale fumes at work, but in fact they can still irritate the exposed skin - in this case, on my eyelids. And the fact that I wear latex gloves to work and sweat inside them probably made my hand a lot worse.

So I got a prescription for a cortisone cream. He let me ask questions and did not seem in a hurry to leave, which was nice. I had told him I was pregnant so he'd be able to prescribe me something pregnancy-safe... so when we were wrapping things up, he asked conversationally how the pregnancy was going and said "well, you look great!" Nice guy.

2 comments:

Rachel W. said...

Hi - I haven't commented on your blog for awhile but wanted to say that I have psoriasis and I normally take a high dosage prescription cortisone cream. My dermatologist prescribed me something he said was pregnancy safe but my OB told me he'd rather have me use something in a lower dosage until I'm done with pregnancy/breastfeeding. (It totally totally sucks, and I'm itchy but luckily my spots are not in visible places). Make sure you double check with your OB that the prescription is pregnancy safe.

Ibis said...

Thanks... yeah, I thought I'd just call my OB and run it by her too!

Post a Comment