Mr. Ibis and I had a pretty nice holiday weekend, pretty mellow, but enjoyable. On Sunday he wanted to go to a nearby Osh Kosh outlet store to buy baby clothes. Yes, you read that right, he wanted to do that. I let him pretty much pick everything out, because watching my husband shop for baby clothes was so heart-meltingly endearing. Whoever says shopping for boy clothes is no fun must be crazy - is there anything cuter than teeny tiny overalls and hooded sweaters? Yesterday Mr. I washed and dried them all and said they were like clothes for a little doll. I'm sure that buying $50 worth of new clothing for our baby is a little indulgent when so many people will be buying us that kind of thing, but it was fun and it's cool to have stuff that we actually chose ourselves.
On Sunday night my mother-in-law called because she'd fallen and couldn't get up . We raced over there fearing the worst. In fact we brought books with us because we thought we might be spending several hours in the hospital... fortunately she was only bruised and embarrassed. Also fortunately she was able to crawl to a phone and we live less than 10 minutes away. But still, this was scary. She fell when she was trying to bring the dog in from outside - she puts them out the front door attached to a lead. I just told Mr. I a few weeks ago that I hate how they have their house arranged so there's a bottleneck as soon as you walk in, and dogs and leashes everywhere like some kind of crazy death trap. And of course what happened is she stumbled over a leash, tried to grab onto a rocking chair, and landed hard on her knee.
We sat with her until we were sure she was okay, and Mr. I rearranged some furniture to make it slightly less hazardous. But the situation is still... not great. She casually mentioned, "Last time I fell downstairs in the basement, into a rack of clothing, and it fell on top of me!" and laughed. It's just that when my father-in-law is there to help her, we don't hear about these things. I didn't say this to Mr. I because it seemed insensitive at the time, but I couldn't help thinking, and what if she's holding our baby next time? I can't see how it's possible to ever leave Miles there alone with her. I know she will be crushed to hear this and she's already planning to convert one of the spare rooms into a room with a crib of some kind and a bed for her to nap beside him. It's just not realistic.
Anyway. Moving on.
Yesterday I woke up with a lot of back pain because I'd unwisely skipped two days of yoga. Mr. I was feeling amorous, but I was uncomfortable and rather rudely broke it off, I'm sorry to say. Pregnancy sex is something I've been struggling with and it hasn't, sadly, gotten better during the second trimester like the books said it probably would.
I was feeling awkward after that, all day long, unable to shake the feeling that I am just kind of lame in the sack these days. We took the Unicorn for a long walk in the park in the afternoon, and that was a nice bonding experience... we didn't talk about the baby at all, which I think is necessary at times to get a little breather from such an all-encompassing subject.
Finally, last night in bed I told Mr. Ibis last night that even though I feel cute enough when I'm dressed and walking around, I kind of feel fat and heavy when we get into bed. Like I'm stuck lying on my side and he needs a giant spatula to flip me over. I wish I could feel like a pregnant sexy earth mama, but I just don't... I kinda just feel like a blob. I have been secretly suspicious that he needs to pretend my belly isn't there to find me attractive anymore. I think he was relieved to hear this because maybe he was thinking he was the problem, which he isn't. But he said all the right things and made me feel a lot better.
Ah - one more thing. We had MIL over for dinner last night and she mentioned that we'd better call her as soon as I go into labor because she will head to the hospital so she can get there ASAP. Mr. I simply said, "We will not be calling you when we're headed to the hospital, then." She was like, "Why not? I did that for [our sister in law]!" I said, trying to be tactful, "[Our nephew] was breech, though... didn't she have a scheduled C-section?" I don't know why MIL doesn't see the difference between someone having a scheduled C-section, which from what I hear takes about 5 minutes, and someone being in labor for possibly 24 hours or more, and how one of those people might not want everyone hovering in the waiting room for two days ready to pounce the moment her ute is empty. After she left I made sure to clarify with Mr. I: "So, we are NOT calling people when I go into labor, right? Because I really don't think I'm going to want to see anyone right after I give birth!" He is completely on the same page with me THANK GOD.


No comments:
Post a Comment