Wednesday, October 7, 2009

26 week appointment

My OB appointment went fine today. I think I am going to keep my doctor unless something goes amiss. It's hard to form a judgment of someone you see for 15 minutes once a month. But I'm back to feeling like I like her.

She measured my fundal height but this time didn't tell me what it was because we were chatting about something else. I didn't ask and I was kind of glad not to know. Just one more thing to obsess over; if she thinks it's fine, I'm cool with that.

She did ask about me getting a flu shot and I told her I was going to get it at Walgreens because they have the preservative free shot. She said, seeming interested/concerned, "they didn't have that for you here?" and I told her they did not. And then we moved on. So that was fine.

She asked about baby movement and I said that actually he's been a little quieter in the past couple of days. She listened to the heartbeat then and she said, "I think you've got a squirmer here!" so I guess he is moving, I just can't feel as much as usual for some reason. She said that movement will start to change - it's not less, but it's different. More controlled movements, rolling and changing position, and less of the random kicking. She gave me a booklet to start keeping kick counts - which I understand they usually start at 28 weeks, but I'm fine with starting early. She told me to call in a couple of days to update her on the baby movement since I have perceived less movement lately... I am glad that she wants me to call, because I feel like I can just check in and not have to wait until something seems wrong to get some reassurance.

I told her that I've been getting more of what I think are Braxton Hicks contractions, but sometimes I'm not sure if they are baby rolling around or BH. She told me to start counting those too, because 4 or 5 in an hour could be regular contractions. Which is totally freaky. But I'll just count for the next couple of days and see what happens.

I asked her about taking vitamin D for cold/flu season and how much to take, and she said 1000 units including what's in my prenatal.

And she gave me my glucola drink and instructions for the one hour gestational diabetes test, which I will do in two weeks. I'm into my every-two-week appointment schedule now, and I'm psyched. Four weeks seems an eternity between appointments and I will be glad of more opportunities to ask questions and get a feel for her thoughts on natural birth. Which by the way I totally did not ask about today. We had already covered so many things I figured I would just leave that for the next time when I'm 28 weeks.

On her way out she made a little small talk about the book she saw me reading while I was waiting. A little personal chit chat goes a long way with me, I liked that.

Oh and my blood pressure was good - 92 over something - and my overall weight gain is now about 13 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment