Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday laughs

I'm reading the most wonderful little book right now - Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family by Catherine Newman. Now this is a pregnancy memoir I can relate to! From the very beginning when she starts peeing on pregnancy tests way too early and obsessing about whether the faint line is really a positive, I thought, finally, here is someone like me... she's a little bit of a hypochondriac, an extreme worrier, and has a great sense of humor about herself. The book is about the pregnancy with her second child, when her son is three years old - and it is her third pregnancy, as her first ended in miscarriage. I don't say this often, but I have laughed out loud while reading this several times - sometimes laughing so hard that I can't see the page because tears are streaming down my face. A lot of the laughs come from the absolutely adorable things her toddler son says, but she views the whole experience with a hilariously neurotic attitude that keeps making me smile.

Also making me laugh lately: my husband's pregnancy symptoms. Why is it that I am almost in my third trimester and I still feel so good? I haven't had the sleeping issues, the hip pain, the tingly arms while sleeping, the pooping complications, the body aches that I am supposed to be experiencing. Why not? Because my husband is having them instead! Last night in bed he pulled off the covers and started rubbing his calf with a grimace. I asked him incredulously, "Are you having leg cramps???" He said, "Yeah, why?" I crowed, "That's a pregnancy symptom!" and burst out laughing. He said, "It IS?? I've been having them for a few weeks! I didn't even know that was a pregnancy thing." He was completely baffled and I was in hysterics. I can't wait for childbirth. I'll be sitting there mopping his forehead while he moans through contractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment