Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How Tired I Am...

Honestly I'm not that tired. I feel pretty good now that I think about it. But I was totally exhausted last night, and when I woke up at 1am to pee my body felt like it was rigor mortised. I rolled out two rooms yesterday even though I had my assistant there... I am still having a hard time setting limits for myself. Still, yesterday my client told me I look great and I "don't even have a fat face!" so I guess all this hard work is keeping me fit, haha. (Seriously, what do you say in response to "you don't have a fat face?")

I don't know if my client's bathroom scale is accurate, but I weighed myself yesterday and was down 4 lbs from my last appointment? I know that women often lose a little weight in the last few weeks of pregnancy, but it seems a little early for that, and I was definitely on the skinny side to begin with. So, mildly concerning, but I'll wait until my next appointment to see if that's what the clinic's scale says and ask if that's okay. I'm not sure that gaining only 15 lbs or so is enough for someone like me, but I'll wait and see before I worry.

I crossed two more things off my to-do list yesterday: final decision on a pediatrician (going with Dr. A) and I called back Sue, the in-home daycare lady that I've been stalking for months. I guess apparently it is finally not too early to talk to her, so I told her I will stop by at some point next week (should be off work) to check out her home daycare. I hope I like her, because the price is right, she's cool with my part time schedule, and I agree with her approach to child care. I might be in a minority with this one, but I was drawn to her philosophy that very young children mainly need to play and be kids. Of course they need structure, but she doesn't believe in creating school lessons for 2 year olds... as she put it, "Why get them all geared up to be totally bored in kindergarten?" All of my inquiry into early childcare has told me that there is zero research to support the idea that early education has any long term beneficial effects... for instance, kids who learn to read at 3 or 4 generally level off in reading skills with their peers by age 6. I just want Miles to be in a happy place where he has good, loving, responsible care when I'm not with him.

I've been talking (via email) with my mom this week about when she's going to visit. It's so hard to coordinate long distance family visits with the totally unpredictable arrival of a baby! Mr. Ibis and I have been studying the calendar. My dad and stepmom and sisters are coming out 5 weeks after my due date. So we figure, the latest Miles could come would be two weeks late. We want one week alone with him. Then hopefully my mom can come the next week, we'll have just shy of a week to ourselves again, and then the rest of the family arrives. We think that will be the most doable if my mom can come that week. It's probable we'll have more time alone at first, but that's preferable to having my mom here the moment I get home from the hospital, I think. My mom is a totally easy houseguest, but still I just want to bond with Mr. I and the baby by ourselves for a little while before he goes back to work.

Ah, so many preparations! Also upcoming: Friday is my next OB appointment, Monday is our penultimate childbirth class, the following Saturday is my prenatal massage, the next Monday I'm taking a daytime "Back to Work and Breastfeeding" class, and that night is our last childbirth class. I'll be 36 weeks that Thursday... holy crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment