He is a "good baby," though. So far. Don't want to jinx myself here. But I was teasing Mr. Ibis today for calling Miles "so fussy" when he was just whining a little as he fought off a nap. He actually does not cry often, and his version of fussy is pretty low key. The only time he really wails is when he pees all over himself and needs to get a quick sponge bath (this has happened several times) because he hates being cold, and lately he hates his car seat anytime it is not somehow in motion (being carried or car is moving).
He has a lot of alert time, just looking around, staring in the general direction of mom or dad's head or off at some other intriguing object. He seems to like to be sung to, as I spend a portion of each day walking around the house with him in my arms and singing along to the ipod - he just looks up at me and seems totally relaxed. He definitely likes to be swaddled, and if not swaddled, then snuggled pretty tightly in your arms.
He falls asleep at the boob all the time, which is cute but frustrating, because it means that I have to keep tickling his neck or cheek to wake him, because I know he's not full yet, and each time he wakes to keep eating he sucks with renewed vigor which = ouchie for me. Still, those times when he's just nursing happily, and then I roll him off to see his contentedly sleepy face and a little milk drool in the corner of his mouth, those are truly wonderful moments.
I hesitate to say he has a sleeping pattern just yet, but it does seem like we're pretty consistently getting up twice a night and then once more in the early morning - after that I usually just get up, though I have been known to nap - and I'm getting a good 6-7 hours of sleep all together. Not too shabby at all. The main thing I dislike about getting up in the night, believe it or not, is being cold! I'm afraid to see our next heating bill because I have been cranking that sucker up every time a feeding rolls around.
I can see already how being a stay at home mom can be socially isolating... not that I want to return to work anytime soon, I really do not look forward to that. But sometimes I do feel like all I have to talk about, and almost all I think about, is the baby. He's just so all consuming at this stage. I'm with him all day and all night, and of course Mr. Ibis shares child care when he's here, but I'm never not with Miles, and like anything else, the total immersion in him has a way of taking over one's brain. The other day, the most exciting thing I had to say to my husband was that I'd triumphantly extracted a ginormous booger from our son's nose. But hey... at least I'm not posting it on Facebook.


1 comment:
Ibis,
I read your "7 things" from the award (Thanks by the way!) and I think WE may be long lost relatives! I love NPR...among other things! I love reading your blog and I am so glad that you and Miles are doing well!
Post a Comment