Monday, January 11, 2010

This post is full of TMI and unpleasantry

So I maaaybe either lost my mucus plug or had bloody show yesterday in the late afternoon?

I don't really know what to be looking for and I'm sure not going to google-image it, but I noted something that was thick, about a tablespoon in size, and blood tinged (brown blood). I asked Dr. Google and my pregnancy books and the results were inconclusive as to whether the mucus plus and bloody show are 1) the same thing or not 2) significant or not. Some sources said that they are one and the same and mean basically nothing as far as when I might go into labor (hours, days, or weeks), and others said mucus plug is one thing and meaningless, but bloody show is a little different and probably predicts labor within a few days and likely sooner than that. I'll leave you to guess which answer I prefer.

While we're talking about gross third trimester symptoms, have I ever mentioned the moles? Oh, the moley moles. I am a freckled person prone to moles in the first place, but it seems like just in the last few months my moles are having mole babies. Some of the ones I already had became a little taller (my dermatologist said taller is okay in terms of cancer risk but I will get a mole patrol appt after pregnancy just in case) and some new ones sprouted. The worst of it spans my upper torso, just under my breasts, in a lovely constellation of mole stars around my rib cage. Ick. I hate them. I also accidentally performed a mole removal on myself a couple of weeks ago while baking cookies... burned my wrist rather badly on the pan and as the burn very slowly healed, I realized I *used* to have a mole there, but no longer. Yay for home surgery!

My little bubble baby says 3 days left... crazy. My mom and sister are due in tomorrow. Maybe they will be here for the birth after all? Mr. Ibis was stressing me out yesterday talking about how he knows my mom is going to want to be there for the birth, and we still haven't had The Talk with my mother-in-law about how she is not allowed to come to the hospital as soon as I'm headed there (we have told her that twice but I guess Mr. I needs to have a capital-T talk because she ignores us). He kept saying "I know your mom's going to want to be there...." Listen, it really doesn't matter what anyone wants but me and Mr. I and we agreed that we're not having people sitting in the waiting room while I labor.

I don't care if my mom traveled a long way, or if this could be the last grandchild my mother in law gets to see (why would you ever say that, dear???), I don't feel sorry for anyone who isn't invited to sit in a hospital waiting room doing absolutely nothing besides totally stressing me out by their presence. If all goes as planned, I'm not going to be one of those girls who gets the epi and spends a few hours chatting and watching TV. I'm going to be doing some seriously hard work and then I'm going to be exhausted. And because it's a baby friendly hospital, it's not like they can even go look at the baby in the nursery, he's going to be with me the whole time. So they will come when we ask them to come and not a moment sooner dammit!

Where did that come from? Whew.

6 comments:

Caz said...

I can answer the last question - That little section in our noggins called 'prioritising'

My MIL has made no bones about the fact that she wishes to dash to the hospital once things happen but I've been very clear that I don't wish to be bothered. They can sit in the WR for days, see if I care. I'll have more important tasks at hand.
Even more importantly - no one and I mean no one but dearest husband and professionals (and that doesn't include bankers & headteachers) will be in the room to watch my dignity go out the window. Some call it a beautiful moment to have the folks standing about eating popcorn gazing at one's lady business but I'd like to look my FIL in the eye again the next day thank you please.
Each to their own I guess!

Ramble over. Sending good vibes your way that Miles makes an appearance soon.

Kris said...

With me everyone waited in the waiting room. I told them that until I had quality time with my daughter (2 hours) and Nathan, no one would be allowed in my room. I wanted time to bond as a family first before everyone came in and started holding her.

Needless to say I was pumped full of morphine and was super tired after it was all said and done. I held her and then ended up falling asleep. I let the in laws and my mom hold her then they left. It wasn't even two hours.

I don't understand why some people want everything to be a spectator sport. I didn't want my in-laws to know what my hoo hoo looked like. Sorry but no.

Kris said...

I wanted to add it was my choice to let them hold her sooner, had I been more awake everyone would have waited. I wouldn't have felt bad either.

R said...

I hope that you're in labor as I write this :)

Sarah said...

Hi Ibis! Had my little one (Iris) this morning at 3:32 after tons of bloody show yesterday. Hopefully your time is just around the corner as well!

Sarah said...

Forgot to add- mine was all natural as well, and it was WORK the entire time. No chatting and games while I approached 10 cm. It was amazing and SO worth it, though!

Post a Comment