Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hunch

New theory: tongue tie.

I have a call in to the pediatrician and I'm going to talk to the LC at Mom & Baby today.

I never thought I'd wish for something to be "wrong" with my child but if tongue tie is all that's preventing us from a good breastfeeding experience I will be overjoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd also ask about thrush. Sometimes it is next to invisible.

Is your nipple blanched (white) after he nurses or red? If it's white, it could be that there's a blood flow issue going on with you--it's called vasospasms and they make nursing VERY painful. Look at some info for it here:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,40sz,00.html

Hope those bits helped... I've been following your journey as a mom, and I sympathize with your struggles to BF! I think you're amazing to have stuck with it for so long... I gave myself 2 weeks with my DD, who had nipple confusion.

Molly said...

Hey! Lurker here... Just wanted to offer some words of encouragement, and maybe some help. I was tongue tied as a baby. My Mom brought me home from the hospital and I screamed for 3 days straight. She tried everything, but nothing worked. Took me into the Dr. where he diagnosed me as being tongue tied... I was starving because I couldn't latch and get anything. For me, it was bad enough that I couldn't breast feed, or bottle feed unless there was a large hole in the nipple. I ended up having a little surgery at 5 years old where they cut the tissue under my tongue because they thought it was going to impare my speech. Have not had any problems since, although I can't really stick my tongue out :o)

Hang in there chica. I can hear and understand the words you write, and I am thinking of you and wishing you and Miles the best. Your strength is inspirational and impressive because there aren't many people I know who could go through what you are describing and still push for what you believe is best....

Post a Comment