Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cleared For Takeoff

My 6 week follow up visit went well yesterday. I guess Dr. J didn't think anything was wrong with my lady bits. The... duckbill thing. What is that thing called? OMG I'm losing it. You know, the thingy for the pap smear - that hurt a little but not nearly as much as I'd anticipated.

Dr. J was really cheerful and friendly - I don't know if I just caught her on a good day or if he likes doing postpartum visits. She gave Miles a cute little souvenir t-shirt from her practice and chatted with me about my job. She laughed when I assured her I would be careful about birth control, that I'm "not gonna chance it!" because I do not need two right now.

I told her I'm still wearing pantiliners and she said what I have sounds like a little breakthrough bleeding and that can happen depending on how much breastfeeding I'm doing. I think that sounds a little weird since I'm breastfeeding on demand, but I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm not using it as birth control.

So, I guess I'm officially cleared for sex. Which is frightening to contemplate. But the exam wasn't as bad as I thought so perhaps sex won't be either (how's that for romantic?).

Today we're going for our follow up visit with the lactation consultant. My right nipple is completely healed and I am pain free on that side, woot! My left one still has a bit of a crack so it still hurts sometimes, but knowing there is an end in sight makes it very tolerable.

I felt like kind of a rock star yesterday because I was out with Miles from 9 am to almost 3:30. I fed him, changed blowout diapers, changed his clothes, sat in a coffee shop with him and read a book, met a friend... getting out and about is kind of empowering these days. I suppose that sounds a little sad, but it's a big deal to finally begin to feel capable as a new mom.

2 comments:

Erin said...

The duckbill thing = speculum :)

I totally feel empowered when I go out with my baby, except my limit is like 2 hours - I still haven't fed in a public place yet... after I do that, I will then take over the world!

Ibis said...

Thank you Erin! Gawd, my mind is mush.

I don't mind nursing in public. I have this awesome blanket my SIL gave me that doubles as a nursing cover:
http://www.rainorshinekids.com/

Post a Comment