Thursday, March 11, 2010

Feeling Groovy

I feel like I'm getting into a groove at last, which of course is perfectly timed since Miles starts daycare on Monday and it's all going to be interrupted and we'll have to find a new groove. But for now, breastfeeding usually doesn't hurt (and usually is a huge triumph for me - I still have a bit of a crack in Lefty), and even though Miles still gets up 2 or 3 times a night, I feel like I've got the hang of that too.

I temporarily gave up on side-lying nursing in bed because I wasn't getting a good latch with it and it wasn't that comfortable. Now I'm sitting up to latch, then I recline back on my pillow with Miles laying on my belly nursing. It's comfortable, he eats well, and I can be half-dozing.

Another adjustment I made was to stop fighting the 4am antsy pants. Miles feels that this is when the day begins, and since it's only 90 minutes before my normal wakeup time, I just decided to roll with it. So now I get up out of bed after that feeding, bring him downstairs, change him, play with him, and then when he goes back down for another nap, I nap on the couch. Easy enough.

I'm trying to pump more now, and when I say trying, understand that it's a pretty half-assed effort. I don't know why I hate pumping - it's not painful, I guess it's just... boring. Sitting there for 15 minutes or so holding a bottle to my boob. And then I have to wash all that crap too. But I want a little more of a stash for daycare days, just in case. So I pumped 4 oz after a feeding, which is pretty good.

Speaking of which, I feel like my body is getting the hang of things too with the whole milk business. Up until recently, I would feel letdown at the most random times - like an hour after a feeding. Now I feel it a minute or so after latching the baby on, which is when I should feel it. And production seems pretty steady and well timed to feedings.

On a more embarrassing note, I even got a handle on the constipation stuff. My initial thought was to run to the drugstore, but then I was worried that my body might become dependent on drugs to function properly. I have no idea whether that's really possible, but I do know that I never had issues until I dutifully took all of my prescription laxatives (they give everyone those after childbirth) and then ran out. So instead I went the natural route - I baked a batch of bran muffins and I bought prunes. Result #1: turns out I love prunes. They're really good! Mr. Ibis even tried one and said they taste like Fruit Roll-ups. Result #2: It totally worked. Yay for prunes and bran muffins.

So now that I'm feeling like I have a handle on everything, let's throw a monkey wrench into the works! I'm so nervous about Monday. I just keep repeating to myself that it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment