Friday, March 19, 2010

Shots

Oy, we had a rough night. I really wish Mr. I had been home last night - just the moral support would have helped, although an extra hand would have been nice too.

Miles's well baby visit went fine. He is growing well, and Dr. A said he is "smart and strong" and "perfect" (I think he likes to butter up the moms). At the end came the nasty part when the nurse stuck Miles's little thighs with needles. He screamed, of course, and I picked him up and put him right on the boob. He was due for a feeding and nursing calmed him right down.

It was the first absolutely gorgeous day of the year, so when we got home I busted out the stroller for the first time and we took a walk, during which Miles slept pretty much the entire time. After our walk I gave him a bath and put him in pajamas. He was fine until his next meal, when he nursed to sleep, and then things got hairy.

After a short nap he woke up screaming - a horrible, pitiful, sad painful wailing. It was the saddest, most heart-shredding little cry I've ever heard come out of him. His diaper was dry, his tummy was full, he didn't want his pacifier... he was just feeling crappy and needed his mommy. All he wanted to do was snuggle into me and be rocked and soothed. This went on for hours. He'd fall asleep for a little bit, but if I moved at all he'd wake up wailing like he was being tortured. I took his temp a few times but it never went over 100. I felt horrible, especially since I was so ambivalent about the stupid vaccines to begin with. Poor little guy.

Finally around 10 pm after one of his feedings he seemed to calm down. He was still really sleepy but no longer crying. I managed to get us up to bed and we had a pretty decent night. I was completely exhausted but he had his normal nighttime sleeping/eating pattern with no fussing.

This morning, to my great relief, he seems to be back to normal. He smiled at me and talked a little bit, which made me feel a million times better, and then went down for a nap in his swing like he usually does while I eat breakfast. I am in no mood to go to work today but I promised a client I'd come in. Mr. Ibis will be getting home around 9am and napping for a few hours. I just can't wait until this afternoon when I can pick Miles up at daycare and the three of us can hang out again at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment