Friday, April 23, 2010

Boobs, bras, and baby toes

Quick note on the blog: I hope you don't mind the ads. I thought, since I blog almost every day and I have readers, why not maybe collect a little latte money? But feel free to comment if they bug you.

Yesterday Mr. Ibis and I were home together - whee! And the same goes for today and tomorrow - triple whee! I love his new work schedule.

I went to see my lactation consultant yesterday to check out her nursing bras - she sells bras and accessories and all kinds of stuff. I didn't especially want to spend money on yet another bra since I have always hated every bra I've ever bought, and they're so expensive. But I was desperately in need. All I have right now is a totally stretched out sleep bra that Mr. I and I have both accidentally put in the dryer 1000 times, and a totally horrible, ill fitting, completely wretched and tragic nursing bra that I bought online.

My issue with bras is that my band size is VERY small. I really need to wear a 30. I can never ever find a small enough band for myself. And I have small shoulders so the straps always fall down. But I think my biggest issue is that I'm a cheapskate, and I never ever have shelled out the right amount of money to get a bra that actually fits me. It's this whole downward spiral of buying cheap bras that never fit and then not wanting to pay for more bras that do not fit.

I tried on several bras yesterday and I'm going to tentatively say I have found the most comfortable bra I've ever worn (nursing or not), the Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra. What I think I love about it most is that the band is elastic and it's nice and tight. I still have to wear it on the tightest hook (they run S/M/L) but it actually fits, and stays put, and doesn't slide around like all my other bras do. I kinda love it. But I have to wear it for a few weeks to be sure. Of course it was the most expensive one she showed me, but I think I just have to fork over $50 to get a bra that actually works. When I put on my old bra before I left and looked at myself in the mirror, I wanted to cry at the sight of my boobs just hanging forlornly in that droopy, ill-shapen piece of crap. That's what a $15 sale bra gets you.

So I returned from my expedition with a mixture of triumph and guilt over having spent so much money on myself. Mr. I and the boy were just waking up from a nap. We got ourselves out of the house and to the park for a walk with the stroller, and after that hit up an ice cream shop for a little snack. Such mixed feelings on the travel system: I hate our infant car seat, but I love our stroller, and they were a package deal. Just pointing out that the reason the straps are undone in this picture is because they were rubbing on Miles's neck and we only had him in the stroller at this point...

Little feet!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have that same bra in the light pink color and love it! The lactation store near me runs sales all the time on their bras so I was able to get it for $20.

Post a Comment