Now, she was hardly the most exciting speaker in the world - she reminded me of a softspoken Wendy Liebman without the jokes - but, I don't know maybe I'm alone in this, as an adult person I feel that when someone is talking, you sit there and listen. Right? It amazes me that there are people in this world who make it to age 25 or 30 or beyond and don't know this basic kindergarten skill. Two women in the class kept up a conversation the ENTIRE time the doctor was speaking. And there were only about 10 moms in the room so it's not like they escaped notice. On the contrary, you could barely hear the doctor over their yammering. So rude. So bizarre.
Anyway, it was a fun something different to do. And I learned something: avoid foods like beets, spinach, and blahblahblah (I only remembered those two but I have it on a handout) for babies because the high levels of nitrates may cause anemia. I would never have known this, because I happen to love beets and always thought that was a good baby food too. Who knew?
Miles had a minor meltdown halfway through the class because it was naptime. He went from bouncing around looking at everyone quietly, to crying, in a split second. But I'd known it was coming because I knew his nap was going to fall mid-class. I just nursed him and rocked him to sleep. It's nice being in a group where your kid can cry a little and no one shoots you evil eye daggers of hate.
There was one little baby in the class who was so small and cute, seemingly just a newborn. I was looking at her and thinking, "ohh, she's about the size of Miles when he was born, how precious." Yet she seemed so alert and could lift herself up on her arms when placed on her belly. Then the mom said she was 3 months old. Eek. Same age as Miles and such a bitty thing. Apparently she has severe reflux and can hardly keep any food down. My god, we got so lucky. Another moment to count our blessings.
I'd like to keep going to the group whenever I can. I feel like it's possible I could make some friends. It's fun to watch the "regulars'" babies grow and do new things, and have the other moms remark on how Miles is growing too. I don't think La Leche is really going to work out, because 7pm on a Tuesday is such a bad time. Either I'm home alone and totally in the weeds, or Mr. Ibis is here and I want to spend time with him. Either way it's Miles's bedtime and Lost is on! So I might as well just cross that group off my list.


No comments:
Post a Comment