Thursday, May 20, 2010

Random stuff

So... teething, woo! Maybe that's why Miles has been hanging out on the boob so much? Like, he'll nurse, obviously empty the breast, but then stay there comfort sucking for a loooong time. I know I could pull him off and give him a pacifier, and sometimes I do, but sometimes I let him comfort suck. We had such a rough start with breastfeeding, and I still remember how I could barely even stand to feed him in the beginning, that I take some pride in being able to endure a little comfort sucking now and then.

(Side note: last night when I was nursing him in bed eleventy billion times he kept pounding me in the chest! What is up? He'd be on one boob lying down and with his top hand, he'd fully extend his arm and crash his fist against my chest above the opposite boob, over and over. Owies!)

I'm blind to whatever the doctor saw because I can't see any teeth poking through. But now that he planted that seed in my head, I'm seeing what I think might be signs of teething. The way he'll occasionally let out a wail seemingly out of nowhere. And he's doing this thing with his lips where he sucks his lower lip in and out... I thought it was just a new sound he discovered, but maybe it's a teething thing. I don't know.

But I offered him a washcloth that I'd chilled with cold water last night and he really dug it. I wrapped it around my finger and let him chew on it, and I could feel him gumming it hard. If possible I prefer not to use medications because the damn things are always being recalled and I'd rather use non-medicinal remedies where possible. Miles has really continued to be a happy boy so I don't think he's feeling much pain.

Judy said that yesterday at daycare he skipped his morning nap and didn't go down until 12:30pm - wut the wut? I hope this isn't the four month wakeful. Mr. Ibis is staying home with him today after being out on the road for 10 hours so I hope the little guy will give him a break at some point.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Iris was punching AND biting me the other night... It made for a rough night of sleep! Her drooling has been unreal, and she just started with the lower lip-sucking habit too. She hasn't been cranky, except when tired, so I'm hesitant to label it teething.

Post a Comment