Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vacation, all I ever wanted

I achieved one of those super fun post partum milestones the other day: Trying On A Swimsuit. Not in a store, mind you; I tried on an old suit that I've had here in good old Nebraska for three years now and have never actually worn anywhere. There is a distinct possibility of either beach or pool swimming on vacation and I don't want to miss it.

The suit's a bikini with kind of a weird short panel below the boobs so it's not so revealing as a bikini-bikini but not so commitmentphobic as a tankini. I feel that the top showed a bit too much boobage for my taste, but Mr. Ibis said it was totally fine. The bottoms are a bit high-rise without looking dowdy, but you can still see some stretch marks around my navel, which I pointed out to Mr. I and to which he replied, "All moms have stretch marks, who cares!" Ehhhhh. Whatever. I don't really care about my stretch marks. Then he reminded me to shave my bikini line before I actually wear that thing out of the house, to which I replied, "SHUT UP." I just finally shaved my legs after a good three weeks. I can only handle one personal grooming task per month, thankyouverymuch.

(Just kidding. No anonymous comments about my hairy bikini line please.)

I'm flip-flopping between really excited and really nervous about our trip.

Nervous:

Flying. Hate it.

The likelihood of Miles getting naps with any kind of regularity or timeliness in our busy itinerary is slim, and I fear the Napless Monster.

I'm sensitive/embarrassed about the whole night waking business, which has been better lately but is highly unpredictable for traveling. We're staying with friends for one night and then my parents for a week and I feel like his midnight wails will be a alarm alerting everyone to my personal failures as a mother. If people start telling me he needs to cry it out I'm going to have to either stab myself or drink heavily. Ugh.

(Again, kidding about the stabbing and drinking.)

Anyway,
Excited:

It's been so long since we saw our friends, old friends, good friends, friends who've never met Miles, friends we can laugh with and relax with. Particularly given the friend-explosion I had this week, this will be a balm to my soul. I need it.

Family, home... being around my family for prolonged periods of time is never stress free, but I miss them. And the place where I grew up is practically a paradise. I'll be able to take Miles to the beach, maybe my aunt's pool too, walk around the old places I used to love. I haven't been back for two years and that visit was too short. I'm no big fan of Nebraska right now as we've just endured one of the worst winters in history followed by a brutal summer... so I am eager to vacation in my hometown.

We're leaving at the breaka breaka dawn tomorrow, and I will not likely blog during vacation, I'm sorry to say. Please come back in 11 days - I promise to post pictures!


3 comments:

Meagan said...

Have fun on your vacation!

Caz said...

Enjoy your holiday.

As for leg hair: I had an appt with the Doctor yesteday about the rash I got in hospital.. imagine my embarassment when I rolled up my trouser leg to expose 4 weeks worth of growth..
Oh the shame but whipping out the Bic has hardly been top of my agends lately!

Lore B said...

The swimsuit: who cares, you just had child like, this year!
The flying: I hope it goes smoothly.
The night wakings: If anyone not staying in the same house asks about Miles sleeping habits, say he sleeps like a baby. and if anyone starts saying you should let him CIO, excuse yourself and walk away with any pretext.

(And Carolyne: that's hilarious!)

Have a great vacation! I'll miss you (aww, I know, how corny!)

Post a Comment