Sunday, October 24, 2010

Monkey on my back

Sometimes Miles reminds me of a baby chimp, now that he can grasp onto me with his little arms and legs, and then there's all the climbing and screeching... at the moment the monkey is on my back. Sleeping in the Ergo.

I've made it through two naps on the floor. Yesterday in the afternoon, he cried for 45 minutes and slept for 30, which was fine as that's a normal afternoon nap. But this morning it was the same, and that's not a good morning nap. It's sort of fascinating the way he will roll around crying about the fact that he is supposed to take a nap, even when we're on the floor in his room, and nothing is stopping him from getting up and crawling over to his books and toys. He knows it's time to sleep and it pisses him off.

However, since this was the routine I was enduring every night at bedtime and that was solved by a slightly later bedtime, maybe I just have to push his naps back too. Wait until he's tired enough to just lay down and go to sleep. It just seems counterintuitive when, after two and a half hours, he is rubbing his eyes and getting whiny - I can see he's tired. But not tired enough, I guess.

So he had the half hour nap and an hour later I put him in the Ergo because seriously I had to get SOMETHING done. My house looks like a bomb went off - specifically in the kitchen. And I have booked work for the next two weeks, which is awesome don't get me wrong, but I'm already having a hard time staying afloat with Mr. Ibis being away so much - this is going to be nuts.

Of course almost as soon as he went into the papoose he started laying his head down on my back, which means he's ready to sleep. I put the hood over his head (my mom's boyfriend called him The Parakeet when he saw this) and he started his usual Ergo nap self-soothing routine: he pats my arms, touches my hair, sucks on his binky and hums to himself. So cute. And then he's out.

I guess the question of naps will be moot for a while anyway, because I'm going to be working my fanny off in coming weeks and he'll have to go to daycare if Mr. I's schedule continues full steam ahead. I'm not exactly excited to work but I am excited to have MONEY. Mr. Ibis's pay is covering enough of our expenses now that we're going to split my income in thirds - one part debt paydown (starting with my childbirth bills which we still haven't paid off, and that's with no epidural or surgery!), one part savings, and one part into the checking for regular expenses. We haven't been able to do anything like that in so long - since before we had Miles - so it will feel good I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment