Friday, October 15, 2010

National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Day

I like this site, which raises awareness of pregnancy & infant loss by having people (men and women) upload pictures of themselves to break the taboo surrounding this kind of loss. I uploaded my photo today and I posted a message about this day in a Facebook status.

We're coming up on the two year mark since my loss. Funny how the birth of Miles has given January a new meaning, when a year before he came along it was a month of mourning. We're coming up on a season of memories again, the first BFP, the first weeks of my first pregnancy. Bittersweet memories that now seem a little more sweet than bitter. Though it ended badly, I can now see that time as a pregnancy in its own right - too short, but part of my history. Part of the history of my body, which I gained a new confidence in by giving birth and breastfeeding a healthy baby. I now see that I had the healing birth that my doula predicted for me.

My wish is that everyone who hasn't yet will have a healing birth to soothe some of the pain of loss. A healthy baby doesn't replace a lost one, but for me, my healthy baby put the lost one in a different light, a less painful one: the life that I held inside me for only 9 weeks was meaningful to me and part of my journey as a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment