Friday, November 12, 2010

Am I Gross?

Lately I keep noticing that other moms do not let their kids eat leaves or dirt or suck on car keys. All of which I do. I don't have one of those shopping cart covers, though I do make use of shopping cart wipes when they are handy at the store. I don't use any kiddie hand sanitizer though I do wipe Miles's hands with a wet wipe or washcloth before he eats.

I was surprised that some of the crunchy mamas I know wouldn't let their babies chew on a leaf when playing outside. I mean... it's a leaf. Do leaves even have germs on them? One crunchy mom mentioned reading in her favorite child care book that kids should be allowed to experiment with eating dirt, but she just couldn't bring herself to let her kids do that. I was taken aback, because I think she out-hippies me three times over, but I will and have let Miles sample dirt, sand, leaves, seashells (on vacation), sticks... I think very few babies will actually ingest dangerous amounts of dirt once they realize that dirt tastes pretty bad. Obviously I supervise what he's putting in his mouth, but I wouldn't snatch a leaf away unless he was actually swallowing half a tree.

I don't clean Miles's toys unless they clearly are dirty looking, or he's been sick and sucking on them. We try to keep the house reasonably cleanish, but let's just say that we are NOT neat freaks and we do have a dog.

It's a little ironic because I myself am a little tiny bit of a germaphobe in some ways, but I recognize my fear as irrational and am pretty good about not applying it to my son. I'm not completely blase about germs, particularly during flu season, but I do think that some exposure to germs is healthy. I read that a healthy person only has about a 30% chance of catching a cold when directly exposed to the virus. Miles has only been sick with a cold twice (the second time being right now, I think) since he was born, and though I got sick a couple of times in the early sleep-deprived days, I've been pretty healthy too. I also don't "do" flu shots and absolutely will not give one to Miles because they are still the only vaccines that contain thimerasol and I'm not cool with that despite what the CDC says. Instead we take extra vitamin D and wash our hands more often.

4 comments:

Meagan said...

I don't think you're gross. I haven't got to the dirt eating stage yet, but I think I'll have a similar attitude towards it. A little dirt won't hurt.

Caz said...

You're in no way gross. I'd say you're a perfectly normal mother. Not to say those who refuse to allow their little ones to eat sand aren't of course (better get that in there before I dig myself a hole!)
We too have a dog - she is 14 and due to her age and increasing immobility, craps in the kitchen most days and whilst I clear it up and wash my hands, I don't exactly call in Rentokil to come nuke my home! Wiping the floor and washing my hands will suffice.
My MIL often tells me the story of how she would catch my husband eating stones he'd found in the garden on a very regular basis and he turned out to be a fine (albeit kooky) strapping 32 yr old.

I am a big hater of sanatising everything within an inch of its life which is sadly how the Western world has developed a thing for. How are our children supposed to develope an immune system if we guard them from normal childhood shenanigans?

Rachel W. said...

If you're gross, I'm the queen of gross. I let Hunter kiss the dogs, eat "floor stuffs" (bits of paper, etc from the ground) once in awhile, chew on my car keys, eat bits of grass....you get the picture!

And sanitizer? I use enough of it at work that I hate the smell so I hardly ever sanitize things in my house (minus cooking stuffs and bathroom stuffs).

Ibis said...

LOL... I love "floor stuffs!"

Post a Comment