So I haul him downstairs (as you visualize this you should also be imagining a constant EHHHHHHHHHHH! sound coming from the baby), turn on the bathroom light with the crazy idea that we can stay not-fully-awake if we don't have bright lights shining down on us, and bring him into his room to change him.
I strip him down and wipe him off with wet wipes, and now the poor boy is shivering in addition to whining because it's a little chilly, BUT there are no diapers on the changing table. They are all in a new box in the closet. So I deposit a naked baby in the pack & play so he won't go crawling off to play with toys and get all crazy, and I figure while he is thus safely contained I will also go pee. I reason that he has just peed all over the bed so he'll be okay naked for three minutes.
I pee, I get the diapers out of the box in the closet, and I step toward the pack & play. And what happens next is so hard for my tired brain to process that it goes like this: I hear a tiny splash. I realize my foot is wet. I realize there is a puddle on the floor. I realize that it is pee.
Finally I put it together that Miles, standing up in the pack & play and holding on the the side (and still whining), has peed through the mesh onto the floor.
So now I have to pick him up, clean him off again (though it was a pretty clean hit, an advantage of penises I suppose), diaper him, put on fresh pajamas, and just like that he's happy as a clam. I am able to put him on the floor with his toys, clean up the pee, and then back to bed.
Where, of course, there is another big puddle of pee. Oh yeah.
So I lay Miles on the bed because now he's perfectly content and happy. He just lays there smiling at me peacefully and at that point I just have to laugh, he was so damn cute and the whole thing was pretty funny. I managed to change the bedding around him and miraculously after a few minutes on the boob, he went right back to sleep without another peep.


2 comments:
I find this story adorable. I know I'll have some similar stories in a few months.
These are the kind of things our 80 year old selves will cherish.
How bizarre that I have just this second blogged about pee and leaks that have occured. Spooky!
I hope today/tonight brings drier times.. for you both!
Post a Comment