Friday, December 10, 2010

This & that

It's been a busy few days. Mr. Ibis got stuck out of town due to some work weirdness and so Miles and I were on our own for two days and three nights. It actually passed pretty quickly because on Tuesday I had a little bit of work so M went to daycare for a half day, and then on Wednesday we had very long playdate. Mr. I was home early Thursday morning.

In other news, I'm finally starting to see Miles nurse a little less often. He never was a big breakfast person and always went the longest stretch from waking up to first feed of the day. But usually after that he'd nurse every 2-3 hours, and then a bunch of times at night. Now he seems to nurse only 3 times during the day and 1-2 times during the night - not counting the formula bottle at bedtime. One night recently he actually went all night without nursing until about 4 or 5 am - he still woke up but was fine with just a binky going right back to sleep. Crazy!

It's hard to trust my body to wean gradually on its own. That is, I worry that my supply will just drop off a cliff and then he'll suddenly want to nurse more and it won't be there. It's just weird, I guess, going from being his sole provider of food, to trusting that he's eating enough other things. Not that he wouldn't tell me LOUDLY if he weren't.

I started drinking nursing support tea to help with my letdown issues and it seems to be working a bit. But we're still doing the bedtime bottle at night and I'm cool with it. I know that breast milk is better for him but at this stage I really really don't mind the fact that the formula at bedtime helps him sleep better. And don't let anyone tell you that's not true. Babies digest formula more slowly (put another way, it is harder to digest) and that means he doesn't wake up as soon during the night, feeling hungry. I would never recommend this to a new breastfeeder who needs to keep her supply up for many more months, but for me, it's working baby.

I'm feeling pretty at peace with the way things are right now. I mean, I wish we had more money coming in - who doesn't. But I have finally moved past that hitting-the-ground-running, never-get-my-feet-under-me feeling of early motherhood. I'm feeling a lot less pressure (from myself) to be perfect. I'm enjoying everything more. Hopefully the blog jinx doesn't get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment