Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We might be crazy but at least we agree

Finally, Miles is recovered. The "other symptom" appeared yesterday... what I like to call dire rear. Just once and that was that. No more fever.

I called Judy this morning and asked if she thought I should bring him in or not. Mr. Ibis is home and I don't have work, but we needed a little... alone time. Hardly an emergency, but it had been a while - not that we told her this! Judy's opinion was that he should be fine to have around the other kids and it was fine to bring him in, so we did, for a few hours.

Yes, venturing into TMI here, we bed share and Miles going through this whole pack & play boycott for naps. He will only nap in the Ergo right now while he's in the thick of separation anxiety. At night, we don't feel comfortable leaving him alone in bed because it's too high off the floor, he sometimes wakes up and/or crawls around half-asleep looking for a comfy spot and he has NO hesitation about crawling right off the bed. Add to this that Mr. Ibis is out of town a few nights/days a week. Basically we send Miles to daycare partly just so we can be alone and get it on once or twice a week. Back when we weren't so busy we sometimes caught a movie too, but lately it's all we can do just to go grocery shopping and clean up a little.

I know that is a crazy situation... DON'T JUDGE ME! The most rational thing to do would be to put the mattress on the floor, but it would be such an insane pain in the ass to dissemble our king sized Ikea bed that we can't bring ourselves to do it. Figuring that the nap embargo has to be temporary and eventually he will learn to get down off the bed in some manner that doesn't cause a head injury. We're just dealing with the crazy situation in this lazy way for now. Meh.

We gave Judy a bonus equal to two days of care (our usual weekly payment) for Christmas. We really wanted to give her twice that, but since I had NO work this month it wasn't in the budget. She unexpectedly gave Miles a Christmas gift too, which we are saving for the weekend.

For the record, Mr. I is as pro-"family bed" as I am. This is in no way one of those stereotypes where the baby-obsessed wife forces her husband to go along with the bed sharing plan. He brought it up first and has always preferred this arrangement. Along the way I have checked in with him several times to make sure it's still working okay for him and we are all cool with it. It has its challenges but we still enjoy it most of the time.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Totally not judging, I say whatever works for you, but just wondering if/when you will move Miles to a crib? Or is this a long-term arrangement? There is a woman on the Working Moms board who sleeps on a mattress on the floor with her toddler (3 years) so some people do do long-term bed-sharing. My 3 1/2 year old still comes into our room at least half the nights in the middle of the night. I don't mind it really, but kinda wish I'd been more firm with it in the beginning!

Ibis said...

Ali, we'll probably go from family bed to toddler bed. My guess is that baby #2 will precipitate the transition, around age 2 for Miles probably. I don't really mind the thought of having a toddler in bed but 2 kids and 2 parents is probably too much!!

Ali said...

Sounds like a good plan! My two are 27 months apart, and we moved #1 to a bed around age 2 and she did great (well...besides her trips into our room at night lately!) Very exciting that you are thinking about baby 2!

Post a Comment