Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Flat temps

I'm really not loving my chart today. Why is my temp shift so lame?


My chart last cycle looked exactly like the charts in Taking Charge of Your Fertility that she uses to show low progesterone levels - temps that hover at or near the coverline throughout the luteal phase. I tried not to think much of it, since it was my first cycle after a miscarriage and I figured my body could still be readjusting. But so far this chart is mimicking the last one.

At my first miscarriage followup (really it was the confirmation), I asked my OB whether she thought that my lack of pregnancy symptoms could indicate low hormone levels. She said that progesterone is the one that matters, and she didn't think that was likely to be a problem for me, because on my miscarriage ultrasound she could still see my corpus luteum kicking away, at 9 weeks, even after the baby was gone. I saw it myself on the screen - one ovary was red, and one was blue. She said that she would probably put me on a progesterone supplement anyway next time I get pregnant, about which I was on the fence, since I have read that it may not be helpful and potentially does harm to the fetus.

But now I'm wondering if I need it even before getting a positive pregnancy test. I'm going to watch this chart carefully. If my temps don't rise for real soon, I may call my doctor and ask if she's willing to look at this. I don't know how she feels about charting, if she would take it seriously, but if I have another lame luteal phase, I am going to start worrying for real.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I used prometrium (progesterone) during my LPs b/c of low progesterone. Other stuff that can help is vitamin b-6 (I took 200mg b-6, 100mg b-100 complex, plus what was in my pnv), and some people have good luck w/ vitex, but it did't do good things for me at all.

I hope you get a nice strong jump tomorrow!

Ibis said...

Thanks Jen... I was just looking at your charts this morning. I think I will get some B vitamins and talk to my doc depending on how the rest of the cycle goes.

Post a Comment