Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Meandering thoughts

Good morning. I got better sleep last night, which was much needed. My cold has at least progressed from raging sinus pressure and congestion to having snot pour out of my face, so I think that means I'm getting better?

Something new has popped up: my boobs! Whoa mama. I went from normal boob size to bursting out of my bra literally overnight. It seemed to happen two nights ago, the night I couldn't sleep. I thought it was because I was congested, but maybe it was because a freakish boobie growth spurt was taking place. Yesterday I went to a client meeting wearing a simple v-neck tshirt that suddenly seeemed borderline pornographic.

Switching gears, I've been reading a memoir called Baby Catcher by Patty Vincent, about her experiences as a midwife, spanning a 30 year career catching babies. It's making the idea of a natural birth seem more and more appealing to me. I know that childbirth is hard and much more painful than anything I can imagine, but I think I could do it, and I like the idea of getting through it without drugs. Pain is not fun, but it's not dangerous either. I think I could cope knowing that it's just a natural part of the process - it's fear of something going wrong that's the part that would freak me out - but if I were told that everything was going well, I would rather not take pain meds.

I mentioned this to Mr. Ibis yesterday and suddenly he had a minor freakout about the whole idea of me giving birth. He said sat there saying "Whoa... holy shit" over and over while I laughed. He asked me wasn't I scared to do it, and I said no, not yet. I'm sure once I have a big belly with a big old baby inside and my due date is looming, I'll start to get scared. I think everyone does, at least a little.

I don't think I would do a home birth, even though I know that some people say the prospect of too much medical intervention should scare me more than the prospect of having complications at home. I guess I just don't have enough mistrust of Western medicine to make that leap, at least not yet. And then there is the whole matter of insurance. I don't even know how that stuff works, but I know that I need to err on the side of maximum coverage whenever possible.

I really need to figure out my insurance this time around. With my first pregnancy, I paid over $800 out of pocket for my first OB appointment, even though I supposedly have "good" insurance with a low deductible and no copays. I didn't understand what happened there, but by the time I was billed I had miscarried and I just couldn't deal with the headache. I tried - I called my insurance company and tried to figure it out - but it was too much for me, so I just paid it. Obviously I can't pay $800 per appointment through this pregnancy, or else why do I even have insurance? There has to be something to this that I didn't get last time.

In a similar vein, I got a notice from my credit card yesterday that they were raising my interest rate to 25% for no reason. It launched me into a spell of generalized anxiety about money for a while. Can we do this, are we going to sink, etc. I think it's unavoidable when you're (hopefully) having a baby not to freak out about money. I know that we are in decent shape, but I also know that anything could happen... we're just going to have to do our best.

3 comments:

Mrs Handy said...

I would call the insurance company and ask specifically about coverage for OB appointments. $800 is way too much for one appointment.
Glad to hear that you're feeling a little better.

LuckyOnce said...

I agree about calling the insurance company. Better to know ahead of time.

Can you pay off the balance on your credit card? I intentionally paid extra on my car loan in order to pay it off before I stopped working, because I didn't want one extra bill looming over our heads with a single income. Money can be really daunting.

I chose to have an epidural, but after all was said and done, I really think I could have gone naturally. I was very glad to be in the hospital though. There was a time when D's heart rate was decelerating with each contraction, and they were able to keep a close eye on it to make sure he was okay. I'm not sure how easily they can do that in a home setting. Just a thought.

Caz said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. The snotty nose part is always a sign for me that I'm recovering!
It's times like these I'm glad I'm over this side of the pond with the NHS. I have never understood the whole insurance stuff even though I've a friend who has tried to explain it to me! I prefer to pay my national health insurance though my wage (as is the procedure here in the UK) and every trip to the dr/hosp is covered. No forms, no paperwork.. just deal with me and send me on my way. We only have to pay for prescriptions.
Good luck sorting out the Insurance and from what I can see $800 an appointment is far too steep!

Post a Comment