I am starting to wonder if my clients are starting to wonder. I don't look obviously pregnant yet; but I think I am in the "is she or isn't she" stage. The stage when it would be rude to ask, so no one does.
I don't know why, but I just don't feel any particular urge to tell my clients I'm pregnant, at least not yet. Most of these people I see for just a few days before they're out of my life, so it doesn't seem to matter.
I did tell one designer that I work with, because I've known her for almost three years now, and we have a friendly relationship. It turned out that she had been secretly stockpiling second hand Peter Rabbit books for me, since last winter I told her we were trying again after a loss and made an offhand mention that I loved Peter Rabbit stuff. I don't know why I feel more comfortable sharing personal information with her - I guess she's just one of those people who talks about their own stuff so much that I feel like I can tell her what's going on in my life. I know about her divorce, her dating woes, her weight issues, her baby fever... she even said, when I told her about my loss, that she'd "been there." I thought it was really sweet of her to have saved up Peter Rabbit books for me while I was TTC.
But these other people I don't really know... I just don't feel compelled to tell them the news. I almost feel like it would be amusing to never say anything, and just go on working with a big belly like nothing was going on. But I'm sure eventually people will start commenting on my shape and then it won't be as awkward, because it will be obvious.
One of my upcoming projects is finishing the walls in a nursery for a show house in town - one of those things where people pay to come ogle the furnishings. By the time I'm working on that I'll definitely be showing, which will be kind of fun.


No comments:
Post a Comment