Thursday, October 1, 2009

Money matters

I'm a bit stressed today. I did not get a job that I bid out and really wanted - it would have satisfied my needs for October and possibly even all of November (or more savings) but the client pulled out. I hate when I waste my time putting proposals together for people who then say they are not ready to actually have any work done.

I have one small project lined up for next week and one tiny thing lined up for hopefully later in the month, and that's it. Scary. I'm trying not to panic thinking about how I'm going to make it through the fall and winter. I told Mr. Ibis last night, "I only need to work for three more months." He said, "You're going to be really big in three months!" I said I know, but I need to keep working. Right now we have enough saved for me to take probably three months off and not cut it too close to zero. But ideally that would be mid-December to mid-March. I would like to stretch my maternity leave to 8 weeks, and even that is early... but 6 weeks sounds horrible. And March can be really slow for business anyway. And what if the baby is two weeks late. Then March 1 would only be 6 weeks anyway....

Deep breaths.

It's amazing to me that people manage to have kids at all anymore. We want to have two but right now I can't even imagine how that could be possible. We are stretched to the absolute limits just having one. It doesn't seem fair. We fall right into that class of people who are not poor enough for aid, but not making enough money to be able to afford anything, at least not without having massive panic attacks. The good old disappearing middle class.

Later this month is our second anniversary and then Mr. I's 36th birthday. Luckily I have been holding on to a gift card for one of our favorite restaurants that we can use for our anniversary. I don't know what to do for Mr. I's birthday. I already told him I'm not going to be able to compete with his birthday gift to me this year (Coldplay tickets) and he admitted he splurged on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment