Thursday, December 24, 2009

Officially full term

I'm 37 weeks today. I was having some menstrual-type cramps like night and early this morning. Nothing timeable or particularly contraction-like, but it still made me nervous. Okay, he could come now, but another week of gestation would be a lot better! I want him to really be ready. I'm ready... but 37 weeks is a little early yet. And then of course I'm thinking, we're getting a huge three day snowstorm here so he'd better at least wait until that's over!

Last night I had a dream that I lost my mucus plug in the shower and then suddenly I felt the baby's head emerging. I called Mr. Ibis and told him he'd better get ready to deliver the baby at home, and he was surprisingly calm as prepared to do so.

For his part, Mr. Ibis had a dream that he was taking the baby out and about at one day old, and Miles was still covered in vernix and looking quite funky, so he had to explain to people, "Yeah, he's one of those 'Oh My' Babies."

We are settled in for the next couple of days at least. The family Christmas may be canceled, as the weather is going to be pretty horrible straight through tomorrow and into Saturday. That's fine with me, although we do have three whole pies in the refrigerator and that could become a dangerous situation after about 24 hours.

On another note, whenever people ask about whether we, and particularly Mr. I, are ready for changing diapers, I want to tell them that the messes a dog makes, though more infrequent, are a lot grosser. The Unicorn came in from his morning constitutional acting strange... lurking around with a guilty look, refusing to come sit on the couch with us like he usually does. I guess we're a bit slow on the uptake because I had to lure him very close before I caught the smell and realized that he'd made a mess of his hind end. A shaggy cocker spaniel in need of a haircut + poop = huge mess. Mr. I tried to clean him off with baby wipes but it was way beyond that, so he had to give him a bath at 7am and wash him thoroughly. Mr. I usually takes care of such dog messes, so I do think that wiping poop off an 8 pound hairless baby will probably be a lot less unpleasant and not much of a challenge at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment