Monday, January 18, 2010

I was not expecting this

I went in for my OB appt today, did the NST, that was fine, then she measured my fluid level. It was only 5 cm, which apparently is the lower end of what's acceptable after 40 weeks. She said she didn't want it to get any lower and was going to see about scheduling an induction for tomorrow morning. She then did a quick internal and found I was 2-3 cm. She said she wished she could let me wait until Monday like I wanted but that fluid level was low and she didn't want it to get any lower. And then she left the room. I sat there in a total daze and waited. I hadn't asked her to strip my membranes, I hadn't asked anything. In fact the only thing I'd said was "it could be tonight if it needs to be..." because I was so freaked out and thrown for a loop.

Some other nurse or aide came in and gave me a card with the induction date for 8 am tomorrow and instructions for pre-registration, and that was it.

I left the clinic, called Mr. I and couldn't reach him, and pretty much just cried for the next hour even as I ran a couple of important errands. I did manage to talk to Mr. Ibis and tell him what was going on... I told him I was upset and went over everything with him. He called me back a few minutes later and said if I really don't want to do this I don't have to and he'll back me up. But I felt like it was medically necessary by the way Dr. J scheduled the induction SO soon. It seemed like she would have said Wednesday, or Thursday, if it was something we could keep an eye on for a minute.

** My doula just texted me (I called her a little while ago) to say fluid fluctuates daily and would I want to ask if they will just check me again tomorrow. I hate doing this kind of thing but I guess I am going to call the clinic back right now and ask. **

All right, just talked to the nurse at the clinic. She was totally thrown by my question! She kept saying, "That's a really good question... hmm... that's a good question." So she's going to ask and get back to me. She seemed to think probably not since I just got checked this afternoon but she will find out for sure.

So, still in limbo. I'll update when I hear anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment