I bought this toy for Miles yesterday at T.arget. He's really into - well, everything - but new objects, playing with toys, exploring things - so I thought it was time for a new toy. I "believe in" simple toys, but this is not one. I don't know what happens to me in the toy aisle... I get confused. My thought process was it would be good to have one of these toys that sticks to the high chair tray to entertain him at the table while I/we eat meals.
However, you couldn't test the musical/noise playing feature in the store because you have to "activate" it after you buy it. Baby toy makers seem to get a perverse joy about of programming toys with precisely the kinds of songs and boops and beeps and SPROINGS! that make a perfect soundtrack to accompany you slowly losing your mind. I suspect that it is too crazy even for Miles, who appears to grow bored/overstimulated with this thing in a couple of minutes.
Plus, the suction cup doesn't work. I bought this specifically so that it would stay put on his high chair tray, but he pulls it right off and throws it on the floor.
Right now the two toys he does actually like are his Sassy sun rattle - he likes to suck on the cloth sun - and Baby Einstein "mp3 player" (not really an mp3 player, it just has a button that plays tunes).
Other than those two and his Nuby teether that I've mentioned before, he is much more into playing with things. TV remotes, my empty Nalgene bottle, old magazines, napkins and burp cloths, cell phones, coasters, whatever he spies just out of reach, anything that is not really a toy but that he has not played with before. He has figured out how to "walk" in his jumper over to the laundry hamper in his room, and will grab that and jump around with it or try to gnaw on the handles. Usually he wants to be able to put the thing in his mouth, though he does enjoy tearing up paper too. In my quest to keep him entertained I tried putting his hands under running water in the bathroom yesterday but he was more interested in grabbing the faucet itself and seeing if he could rip it out of the sink (he could not).
We are in sooo much trouble when this boy becomes mobile.


1 comment:
That Sassy toy was my NEMESIS for about a month until I finally jammed a piece of plastic into it and taped it in firmly. He lost interest in it after that, then one of the dogs chewed it so it got tossed. Stupidest toy purchase ever on my part!
And yes, a mobile baby is so much more tiring. I truly don't get how one little bitty boy has so much energy to get up, down, crawl here there and everywhere! But its so much fun :)
Post a Comment