Friday, July 9, 2010

Cause He's Got... Personality!

I recently read Ayelet Waldman's Bad Mother (review to come) - by the way, want to know why I get so much reading done? Because Mr. Ibis gets up for work at 2am, and I am into going to bed at the same time. So when he's here we get in bed around 7, Miles & Mr. I fall asleep, then I read for two hours. When he's not here, I don't have anything in particular to do so I just do the same thing. I'm burning through like a book a week.

Anyway, in Bad Mother she says that in her opinion, as a mother of four, kids' personalities are pretty set by the age of six weeks and there isn't a whole lot you're going to be able to do to ruin them or turn them into a prodigy either. (If your baby was colicky you're probably thinking NOOOO but I'm sure she doesn't mean it that literally!)

Miles's personality is already pretty evident, and becoming more animated and complex all the time. If we predict that he will be essentially the same person at age 30 that he is now, he will be very curious, observant, a bit restless but also essentially content, opinionated but laid back too. Actually, I think he's a lot like me! When we're out around new people, he's quiet and content and will mostly just watch what goes on. It takes a long while for him to be comfortable enough to talk or laugh, but when he finally does he's very emphatic. Nothing escapes his notice and he enjoys exploring his surroundings. He loves to eat but has trouble falling asleep. He's a big cuddler and very physical with his mom and dad, though standoffish with strangers.

I hope he'll be snuggly for years to come. He not only likes to be held but he just likes to be touching us. If he's laying on the floor playing or the bed sleeping he likes to have his feet touching some part of my body (or Mr. I's). When he nurses he fiddles with my shirt, pets my arm, and pedals his feet against my body... when he's really hungry he appears to be rock climbing rather than eating. He has started to touch our faces and (unfortunately) grab my hair or the dog's fur if he ever gets the chance. When he's tired/hungry/frustrated with me he dive-bombs me with a big, slobbery open mouth, all over my face and shoulders like he's trying to eat me, which is honestly the funniest silliest thing in the world and I feel terrible that I am enjoying it so much when I know he is totally exasperated.

The other night we were all lying in bed and Miles drifted off, and laughed in his sleep. He laughs while awake but more like a HUMMMMMM! belly chortle, and this was just the cutest little giggle I've ever heard. Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment