We went to our friends' house for a little get together yesterday in the evening. I try to be sensitive to the idea that babies are not welcome EVERYWHERE but sometimes it's hard to guess whether we should bring Miles or not, and impossible to ask, because most people won't say to your face they'd rather you get a babysitter. I know with this couple, one of them has raging baby fever and the other valiantly tries to hide his distaste for babies... but the baby rabies partner being the stronger personality and social organizer, and with the casual 5 pm pizza hangout style of the event, and the impossibility of snagging a babysitter on Labor Day, we decided to bring baby along.
I confess that Miles had to skip a nap due to this plan, but everything went well. Miles is usually really great at social gatherings, because he likes new things in general (which is why I regularly ransack the house for new "toys" - measuring cups? egg separator? tupperware full of Cheerios?). My friend with the baby fever really enjoyed playing with him. My other friend with the baby allergy cracked me up by IMMEDIATELY pointing me toward a back bedroom where I could nurse if necessary, so great is his nipplephobia (he couldn't even bring himself to say nurse or feed the baby, instead directing me that I could "conduct my business" there, hahaha). We made our exit before Miles got too tired or had a meltdown, and all was well.
This was part of our unofficial plan to Have More Fun. I feel that we've been in a rut lately, as a couple, as a family, as people... the horrid heat and Mr. I's weird work schedule and my lack of income have recently conspired to make the summer - well, a little dreary I would have to say. Chores and errands constituted the majority of our family time. So we're trying to make an effort to do more fun things, even if it's just getting out for an ice cream here and there.


No comments:
Post a Comment