Monday, January 31, 2011

Work and stuff

I have a job this week, despite some highly iffy weather. I hate to be one of those people but sometimes it's difficult to work with people who don't have kids. They don't understand my need to know things ahead of time so I can schedule child care, or the fact that now that I have offspring I'm not always keen to drive in an ice storm if it means transporting my child in dangerous conditions.

I had to laugh today because my designer friend was dishing about a family member who STILL lets their baby sleep in bed with them at 7 months... and tried but failed at CIO. She (my friend) was horrified. I just chuckled and said how hard it is to listen to your kid cry, at any age. I was NOT about to admit my dirty little secret!

Judy texted me while I was working to say Miles was in a bad mood and she was going to try to get him to nap if I wasn't going to make it back early - I said to go ahead and try. I really appreciate her communicating with me during the day, but lord it's hard sometimes to focus on work when I know that Miles might be having a royal meltdown in my absence!

The good news when I arrived is she did get him to nap (on a blanket, not P&P) without much fuss and for a not-too-shabby 45 minutes. The bad news was the ugly bruise on his eye. Sigh. He threw a fit when she left the playroom to make lunch and he did his little head-banging spiel until he hurt his face on the baby gate. That is certainly not Judy's fault but it is a tiny bit heartbreaking to see a shiner on your kid's face when you pick him up. I just can't stop wondering if he's not handling daycare well - maybe he doesn't go regularly enough to feel secure about it - but then, I hate my job so that's got to be coloring my view of things.

In other good news, I am starting a new business. Something I could stay home and do if it caught on. Something that would be a lot of fun for me, if it catches on. Mr. Ibis is super fired up about it. I still don't want my blog to be linked with my real name publicly, but when the time comes I may invite my readers to contact me and get the address of my online store as long as you promise to keep mum about my little alter ego here.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Forgive me if you have already seen this, but:

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

I think I might try it with our little man. We have an appointment with his pediatrician next week and I have a few questions to ask.

If we do try it, I will definitely let you know. I don't have high hopes, but it can't hurt to try.

Ibis said...

Rachel, yes I actually have had that bookmarked for ages! I haven't really tried it because usually Miles does go right back to sleep without nursing... but hasn't stopped the wakeups.

Post a Comment