It's been an unusually busy week here for the Ibis family. I finished a job on Monday, had playdates (sort of?) on Wednesday and Thursday, and went to La Leche today. The plus side of being so busy is that it gets us out of the house, eases cabin fever for mom and baby who are home alone so much of the time. The downside is that the other stuff I have to do - laundry, cleaning, bill paying, and so on - fall behind. You know, the whole juggling act thing.
After all the drama with my crunchy mom group - or really, the spinoff group of that group - I decided to branch out and join a couple more meetup groups and see what else is out there. And now that I'm home more, I need more opportunities to socialize and let Miles socialize too. So I joined two more groups geared toward stay at home moms but without the all-natural bent.
On Wednesday I went to a toddler story hour at a library. It was an okay time but where was the group? It seemed everyone there was from some other group. The meetup leader was nowhere to be found. So I was all alone with Miles and feeling awkward. He didn't have much patience for storytime, being a little too young for that, but did enjoy crawling around. Oh well.
On Thursday I went to the Children's Museum. Once again... no group. Once again, just me and Miles. So once again, we just had fun by ourselves, but that was not exactly what I was aiming for. We have a membership and can go to the museum any old time but I was hoping to talk to some other adults. When I got home and checked the meetup board I saw that I was the only person who went. Great. 0 for 2.
This morning I went to La Leche. I had been to one meeting before, almost exactly a year ago. But that group meets at 7pm and I could never make it back. I just recently realized that I can go to morning meetings now, and if I am considering lactation consulting some day I should get back into LLL. Well, I was pleasantly surprised today. I did not have the greatest experience a year ago, but this group was great. The leaders were super nice and not overzealous and pushy. It was in a church basement which meant there was lots of space for the kids to wander around, and plenty of toys too. The meeting was much less formal than the other one I went to, with no lecture, mostly open discussion. I had a great time and Miles was a pip... he was walking all over the room and going around to all the moms, talking in Miles-ese.
I'll keep trying with the other meetup groups, and still go to the original one as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment